Thursday, May 15, 2008

Atrial Fibrillation

I broke a sweat today at Cardiac Rehab for the first time since I began the workouts. The workout room is kept very cool...cool enough that the nurses and exercise physiologists wear fleece jackets to stay comfortable. I'm still working at level 5 on the cardio-stepper, but the exercise physiologist moved the incline to level 2 today, so I was feeling it in the fronts of my legs. My blood pressure was low when I arrived, and by the end of the workout was only 88/56. Amazingly, I didn't feel lightheaded.

Our educational material today addressed atrial fibrillation, which is abnormal heart rhythm. I have all three risk factors for this condition: age, heart disease, and thyroid disease. Having AF makes a person five times more likely to have a stroke. So it is important that I be aware of the symptoms of AF, which are: palpitations, or fast, "fluttery" heartbeats; shortness of breath; a fast, uneven pulse; chest pain or tightness; fatigue or weakness; confusion; and dizziness. Treatment of AF can include drugs and pacemaker implantation.

I hope I never develop AF, but if I do, it's good that I'm well-informed so I can seek medical treatment right away.

0 comments: