Monday, May 5, 2008

Busy Monday

Cardiac Rehab was first on the agenda today. I got there right at 9 a.m., though we are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to weigh, and get our blood pressure and oxygen saturation checked. As a result, my BP was high, and I had to rest for a few minutes and have it checked again. This time, it was 117/65. The reason I was a bit late was because I lost track of time while I was at my computer this morning uploading and then tweaking photos from yesterday's baby shower.


The workout went well, though. Today, we were shown an educational video on smoking cessation. None of us at the 9 a.m. session smoke, but we were told that we might learn something to help others we know stop smoking.

One of the regular attendants was absent today, so a registered nurse was there to take his place. In our conversation, I mentioned that in scouting for low-salt and no-salt recipes online, I'd turned up several that we've tried and liked. She asked me to print copies to share with others. So when I got home, I typed the recipes to reflect personal changes we'd made to them, and then I made a batch of muffins for the crew to sample tomorrow.

After lunch, I took Mother to stroll for exercise around the college lake. It was a comfortable sunny and mild day for a walk. Only a few people were at the lake today...a teenage boy fishing, and a couple with their two black dogs that prompted a pair of ducks to waddle-scurry into the lake.

As we walked, we heard rustling in the undergrowth, and saw a king snake slither down under a big, flat rock. He blended well with the gray of the rock and the shadows of the undergrowth, but we could still see a couple of inches of it curled around a smaller rock.

A robin worried an earthworm out of the ground. Small fish swam in shallow water near the bank, and a large turtle sunned on a stump in the lake. We see this turtle almost every day. For the first few days, it dove into the water as soon as it saw us approaching, but now it ignores us and continues sunning.

Later in the day, Hubbie and I ran errands, including picking up another flat of strawberries for the freezer. We also used free tickets to pick up three Rotary Club chicken dinners at the Methodist Church. Mother and I indulged in the chicken, but passed our slaw, baked beans, and cookies to Hubbie. We ate leftover sauteed new potatoes and homemade slaw with ours instead.

Cartons of fat-free chocolate milk came with the dinners, which we all used as snacks later in the evening.

0 comments: