Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday Bash

I got up extra early this morning so I could cook the lemon pudding for Hubbie's birthday cake, and get some other things done for the birthday gathering before I went to Cardiac Rehab.



Today was education day at Rehab, which meant I had to stay an extra 30 minutes. The session concerned managing medications. The registered nurse emphasized several points, which I already adhere to, like keeping a record of prescription drugs and vitamin supplements; providing that record to all of my health care professionals; incorporating taking my medications into my daily routine; putting my meds into plastic days-of-the-week pillboxes; taking my meds exactly as directed; and refilling prescriptions in a timely manner.

The nurse also explained various brands and types blood pressure and cardiac medicines, and encouraged us to discuss them, and any reactions to them, with both our physicians and our pharmacists.



I worked hard enough on the cardio-stepper today that it took a while for my heart rate to slow to a point I could remove the monitor. Finally, though, I was able to leave, and I got home about 10:30, showered, dressed, and began lunch preparations about 11 a.m.



Hubbie's family drifted in around 11:30 a.m., and we all sat down to lunch at noon. After lunch, dessert, and gift giving, Hubbie toured his family around the yard and flower gardens while Mother and I cleaned the kitchen. Then we all sat in the yard and visited for a while. The weather, cooler with low humidity, was perfect for being outdoors. Before the family left mid-afternoon, we gathered them near the dogwood tree for a snapshot.

Besides Mother and me, the group included Hubbie's two daughters and son, his two sisters, a grown grandson (an Army veteran who served several tours of duty, including to Iraq), a young grandson and granddaughter, two great-grandsons, a great-granddaughter, and a son-in-law.

Hubbie had a good birthday, made all the better by being surrounded by loving family.

0 comments: