Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday. Whew!

This has been a very busy day. It started, as it always does on Thursdays, with Cardiac Rehab. The scale showed that I'm up three pounds today, which is probably water weight from the barbecue birthday lunch Tuesday. Otherwise, my vital signs were good, and I got an intense workout.



After the session, I stopped by the medical clinic for a doctor's appointment. By the time I got an antibiotic prescription filled at the pharmacy, it was 11:30 before I was back home. Hubbie arrived around noon, after attending a Master Gardener monthly meeting.



After lunch, Mother and I went to our monthly scrapbook meeting at the Extension Services Office, where five of us worked, visited, and admired each others creative pages. Of course, the main topic of conversation was grandkids and great-grandkids. Since two of my great-grandsons were born earlier this month, Mother and I had plenty of photos to work with.



We got back home about 3 p.m. and relaxed for a while before getting ready to go to a Master Gardener picnic at 6 p.m. this evening. Various members are assigned (according to letters of the alphabet) food dishes to contribute to the meal, and our assignment was salad. While I was at Cardiac Rehab this morning, Mother put together a "Picnic Bean Salad" of kidney beans, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes in ranch dressing, seasoned with dill weed and pepper, and topped with parmesan cheese. Most of the folks who attended must have been in the salad assignment block of the alphabet, because other than one rice dish and one couscous dish, there was nothing but salads, with most of those prepared in creamy dressings.



Among the meat dishes, there was pulled pork barbecue (wouldn't you know it), hamburgers and hot dogs, and grilled chicken. I opted for the grilled chicken, of course. I did sample a couple of desserts, but only very small portions.

The hosts' gardens, which feature wooden bridges, and a goldfish pond, are well-planned and beautifully manicured...the perfect setting for a picnic. The weather was mild, with an overcast sky, and we enjoyed this pleasant outing.

0 comments: