Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday...Aerobics, Work, and Some Sad News

The water at the college pool was still quite cool this morning, registering at 78 degrees. Once I got used to it, though, it was okay, but I don't think I could tolerate it in the winter.

While we were swimming to warm up before aerobics, one of the ladies asked if I knew that my neighbor, an 88-year-old woman, had suffered a heart attack and was near death after being taken to the hospital last night. I was not aware of this, so after I got home, Hubbie called to inquire about her. He learned that, sadly, she passed away this morning at 8 a.m.

We've known this lady for many years, both as a good neighbor, and as a pillar of the community. She was loved and respected by lots and lots of folks, so I expect the church where funeral services are to be held Friday morning will be filled to overflowing. Visitation is tomorrow evening, and we will attend.

Also, our water aerobics instructor informed us that one of our members underwent gall bladder surgery last week, and she wanted us all to sign a get well card for her. After I got home, I called the lady at her home, but her husband said she was volunteering at the museum. I was heartened by that news, since it meant that she must be on the mend. So I called her at the museum, and she said she's feeling much better, and hopes that her doctor will release her tomorrow to return to water aerobics next week.

I was rather glum after all the morning news, but decided work was the cure and set about doing paperwork and organizing materials for a photography workshop I'll be conducting for a group of youngsters at a science museum in our capital city in a couple of weeks. This will be a week-long workshop, for three and a half hours each day.

Well, we got an e-mail today from our ballroom dance instructor informing us that the dance sessions at the church fellowship hall will be "on break" for the summer, but will resume in the fall. Hubbie was very disappointed about this. I think it's a wise decision. Folks, including us, just have too many other weekend distractions during the summer months.

0 comments: