Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cardia Rehab and Other Stuff

Again, I got to Cardiac Rehab early this morning and was able to complete my exercises ahead of schedule. Monday and yesterday the scale showed me up two pounds, but today my weight was back to normal. Though I tried to be careful on our trip last weekend, I must have still eaten more salt than usual, causing a water-weight gain.



Today, one of the other patients was experiencing chest pain and numbness in his right arm. His vitals checked out okay, but the nurse gave him a nitroglycerin tablet anyway, and advised him to see his doctor as soon as he left Rehab.



We learned, too, that one of the other patients, a young man in his 30s, who recently graduated from Cardiac Rehab, is back in the hospital today, but we don't know what his status is.



Anytime a fellow patient shows signs of a problem, we all worry about him or her and about ourselves. We all know that having heart disease puts us at a higher risk for suffering heart attacks.



It was cloudy this morning, and there was a sprinkling of rain, so it wasn't quite as sizzling as yesterday morning, and I wasn't pouring sweat when I got home today. The house was quiet when I got here, since Hubbie was gone for his annual physical checkup.



I put together a package of photos to enter in a local bank calendar contest while he was gone, and completed some computer projects. The contest deadline is today, so I had to deliver them to the bank this afternoon.

After lunch, I called a seamstress who does clothing alterations to check on having a jacket altered. This is a very pretty Coldwater Creek jacket that I only wore once or twice before I lost weight. The lady asked me to go to her shop this afternoon so she could do a fitting. She warned me, though, that it will be a while before she can get around to it, since she has a couple of trips lined up soon. I assured her I'm in no hurry for it, since it's a cool-weather jacket, and I certainly won't need it before the end of Sept. or into Oct.

The seamstress asked me how I had lost weight, and I told her I did it through Weight Watchers. She asked me how long it had taken to lose it, and I told her it had taken about a year to lose 40 lbs., a half pound to a pound a week. She said she'd like to lose weight, but is afraid of getting a wattle under her chin. I told her that slow weight loss, along with exercise, helps avoid loose skin.

Tonight was Weight Watchers night for Mother and me. I'm always edgy about going to this once-a-month-weigh-in, even though I'm weighed each day that I go to Cardiac Rehab. As it happened, the WW scale registered a one-pound loss since last month for me, and a two-pound loss for Mother. The WW leader and I agree that Mother doesn't need to lose any more weight. She's not trying to lose, but her appetite has declined over the past few months because of tummy troubles. She is scheduled for a doctor appointment next Monday, so maybe we'll find out what's going on then.

Hubbie was in charge of dinner tonight, and he had potatoes baking in the oven and t-bone steaks on the grill when we got home. Mother doesn't like steak, so she had supper at her own home. Along with the steak and potatoes, Hubbie grilled skewers of shrimp, and served salad and black eyed peas. It wasn't the most heart-healthy meal, but it was delicious.

0 comments: