Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wednesday Ups and Downs

Today was a make-up day for me at Cardiac Rehab, after missing Thursday's session last week. Since I got there about 8:45, as usual, I was allowed to begin exercising right away, and was able to finish well before 10 a.m. Afterwards, hot and sweating, I braved the merciless sticky heat to my even more mercilessly hot car, where I turned up the air conditioner full blast for the ride home.

I couldn't wait to take a shower, which helped cool me down. But as soon as I'd gotten ready for the day, Hubbie and I were back out in the heat to run errands. We had several stops to make, including to the bank to drop off two shopping bags full of spiral notebooks...our contribution to the bank's annual collection of school supplies for underprivileged kids. From there, we went to the pharmacy to pick up more prescriptions for me. With high blood pressure and heart disease, I have to take several medications. Hubbie is one of those lucky ones who, in his 70s, is still in wonderful health and takes no medications.

From the pharmacy, we went to the farmer's market so I could choose a variety of vegetables to steam for a meal. Next, I picked up the free Branson show tickets I'd won in a drawing at the Sears store. Lastly, we went to the worldwide discount chain store to re-stock on bread, milk and other essentials depleted after our trip.

An hour later, we were back home. Hubbie and I reviewed the four sets of Branson show tickets we now have to see when they expire. The ones I picked up today expire Oct. 31. We had already planned to make a trip to Branson sometime in the fall, and now we saw that we need to schedule it no later than the end of Oct.

I checked online to see what the cost of an extra ticket to each show for Mother will cost. What we do when we have free tickets or ones we've picked up economically at silent auctions, is buy an extra one and then split the total cost three ways. We do this because Mother refuses to let me pick up the full tab.

It's possible that we will be able to find tickets at a lower price than those quoted at websites, because we know someone who can guide us to bargains. Hubbie tried to call this person at her job today to get more information, but she was out with a sick child. So Hubbie talked to her boss, who is a friend of ours. The friend has been battling breast cancer for several months, and today informed Hubbie that her doctor advised her to quit her job and go home and work on her "bucket list," meaning she is losing her battle, and she needs to get her affairs in order and do some things she's always wanted to but never had time for. She's only in her 50s, the age of one of Hubbie's daughters, and we are just heartsick.

After hearing this news, the three of us sat around for quite a while, lost in our own thoughts, before we decided we needed to get up and do something to relieve the stress. Hubbie went outdoors to water his gardens, I also went outdoors to photograph butterflies, and Mother put chicken breasts into the slow cooker for supper.

Tonight, Hubbie and I decided to go to a movie. Again, we tried to use our complimentary tickets, and again there was absolutely no one around to give them to. So we went on into the theater. About 13 of us were there to see "Mama Mia." We knew half of the folks and visited with them before the movie started.

"Mama Mia," rated PG13 for some sexual references and one brief scene of a guy's behind, is a delightful musical that lifted our spirits. It might be considered a chick flick, but even Hubbie enjoyed it. I'll definitely want to buy the DVD when it comes out.

0 comments: