Saturday, August 2, 2008

Busy Morning, Leisurely Afternoon

Before breakfast this morning, we drove both the van and the truck downtown, where we left the van on a parking lot facing the river carnival parade route. We do this each year so that Mother will have a place to sit in comfort to watch the parade.

Around 9:30, we gathered an ice chest and bottled water, handheld fans and my digital camera and headed for the parade. This year, there was a new feature...water gun fights. We were parked near one of eight or ten large galvanized metal tubs of water (which are generally used for watering livestock), where kids loaded their guns and squirted everybody in sight, including us. I got snapshots of this activity, as well as lots of parade photos, to send to our state newspaper.

At the end of the parade, a fire department truck sprayed water at the crowd as the kids, squealing in delight, valiantly fought back with their colorful water pistols and guns. I stayed busy keeping my camera out of firing range. This was the first year for the water gun activity, but it was such a hit that I'll bet it'll be repeated next year. If I hadn't had my camera with me, I might have joined in the fun too, since it was so hot.

Nothing much happened the rest of today. I spent some time in the yard photographing toadstools and butterflies (see previous blog), as well as uploading the parade snapshots and sending them to my photo editor.

This evening, we steamed new potatoes and yellow summer squash for supper, which we had with fried green tomatoes (unsalted and light on olive oil) and white gravy (not much for me, please). We also had sliced ripe tomatoes from Hubbie's and Mother's veggie garden.

One of the most wonderful parts of summer is the abundance of fruits and vegetables grown right here in our southern state. I relish them and hate to see them go when the season ends.

0 comments: