Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday...a Break From the Heat

We awoke to a cloudy day. We were so hoping that we'd get a nice rain to help the gardens and lawn, which are becoming parched from the extreme heat of the past week or so. But we only got sprinkles. Others in the state got a soaking, I think, but unfortunately the front skirted us. However, the temp is milder today, which is nice.



I took an umbrella along with me when I went to Cardiac Rehab, but I didn't need it. Cardiac Rehab went well. I'm walking at 3.5 mph on the treadmill, at a level five incline. I've also increased my handheld weights to eight pounds. I still use the five pound ones for exercises that require me to lift straight up on each side, but for close-to-body exercises, I use the eight-pound ones. I can tell I'm getting muscles in my forearms and biceps, but I still need exercises that will deal with my flabby triceps.



After I got back from Rehab, it was errand-running time again...this time to the cleaners, and to the post office to mail a manila envelope of recipes and information about triglycerides to Daughter-in-Law, who is interested in preparing healthier meals for Son and the rest of the family. From the post office, we went to the cable company, and finally to the worldwide discount chain store for several grocery items.



Mother came over after we got back home and joined us in a lunch of sandwiches made from last night's leftover turkey. The turkey still tasted fresh, since I'd wrapped it tightly (and twice) in plastic wrap (making sure all the air was squeezed out) and then stored it in a plastic container. Oxygen getting to cooked meat, particularly poultry, is what makes it take on a different, and to us, peculiar taste after it's stored in the fridge.

After a this-and-that afternoon, we enjoyed more cold turkey for supper, along with the rest of the leftovers from last night's supper. Everything is gone from last night's meal, now, except a little more turkey, which will become part of the "week in review" meal on Saturday.

0 comments: