Saturday, October 18, 2008

Octoberfest







This morning, we went to an Octoberfest event at a bed and breakfast facility about 40 minutes from our home. Last Monday, a water aerobics member invited me to the event, hoping I would bring along my camera and take snapshots for the regional newspaper. The snapshots above are some that I took, though they are not ones that I'll submit to the paper. These, and a few more that I'll include in another blog, are some I took for myself, because we love animals and country charm scenes.

We got a false start at 9:30 this morning on our trip to the festival. When we were about six miles from home, I realized I had left the lithium camera battery on the charger at home. So we turned around and came back to retrieve it. At that point, Hubbie decided the van needed gas, which meant a stop at a filling station. Finally, about 10 a.m., we were on the road to the festival.

The festival revolved around demonstrations of frontier life skills, such as quilting, canning, butter churning, corn shelling, knife sharpening, etc. The festival also included a western arts entertainer, who brought along the very gentle Brahman steer above. Children delighted in sitting in the saddle on the steer's back. The entertainer did a number of rope tricks as well as whip cracking, as he joked with the crowd.

I snapped a number of photos, mainly of children enjoying the event, but also of the folks who were demonstrating country arts, which I'll submit to the newspaper.

While we were at the festival, we sampled homemade biscuits, butter, and strawberry preserves, and then, since it was lunchtime, we each had a free hot dog. This would not have been my choice for lunch, but since there was nothing else available, I ate one. Our appetites were not satisfied when we got back home, so Hubbie and I ate bowls of fruit. I had a cup of hot chocolate with mine, and Hubbie had coffee and fig newtons with his.

0 comments: