Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday, January 22

I started the day with a treadmill and weight workout session, before having a cold cereal breakfast.

Once I was ready for the day, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the card shop for birthday cards, and then to the store that has a sale every weekend. At water aerobics yesterday, I noticed one of the older ladies was wearing a pair of thermal underwear that looked comfy without being bulky, and I wanted to buy a pair for Mother. The store had only one pair in Mother's size, and a clerk mentioned that the remaining stock will be returned to the manufacturer in about two weeks, because at that time spring clothes will be on the racks.

Just as we were ready to go to the WDCS for groceries, I realized I didn't have the grocery list with me. So we had to swing back by our house to pick it up.

We got back from shopping at noon, and had a lunch of leftover chili. At 2 p.m., I went to the dentist's office for a routine cleaning. There, I learned that our state's contender for the Miss America contest is the daughter of one of the receptionists. Who knew? Anyway, my dental hygienist and several other women in the clinic will be traveling to Las Vegas this weekend to attend the Miss America pageant. She's very excited about the trip.

I got home about 3 p.m. and did this and that until supper time. For supper, I made a recipe of shrimp pasta. Mother opted to stay home for supper tonight. In fact, she stayed home all day today.

This evening, though, she joined us to go to a local college to attend a performance of a Mexican dance troupe. The group, who came to our town from another state, performed to a large audience, including a fair-sized contingent of Hispanics. We all enjoyed the dancers, who were colorfully dressed and obviously well-trained.

The opening dance was performed by five women in ruffled white dresses, with touches of red. The next number featured only four women, and we were told that one of the dancers had sprained her ankle in the first dance. From then on, the troupe had to adjust their choreography.

In one number, two women performed a "water dance," in which they danced with glasses of water balanced on their heads. One woman lost her glass, but the other danced the whole number with her glass precariously perched on her head.

The final number was one we all recognized...the Mexican Hat Dance.

0 comments: