Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday, March 6

Started the morning at water aerobics. The pool was c-o-l-d! They had added water since Wednesday, and it hadn't had time to heat by today (so I figure they added the water yesterday). We wondered why they added water, since the college will be out on spring break next week, but we supposed that swim teams must be meeting there while the students are away from campus.

After I got home and ready for the day, I baked a lemon cake for Mother's birthday celebration tomorrow. I'll cook lemon pudding and make meringue for it tomorrow morning.

Sis came about 11 a.m. Nephew, who has a birthday today, came too, along with a friend of his. But they didn't stay long. He'll return tomorrow evening or Sunday to pick his mother up (there's a shortage of operational autos in the family right now). The first thing I noticed is that Sis has lost a lot of weight. She said she is exercising portion control to shed the pounds.

After lunch, Mother, Sis, and I went for a stroll at the college lake. A pink magnolia bush was in bloom, as well as daffodils. Ducks, hoping for a handout of bread, greeted us as we started down the walking path. Mother and I have not gotten into the habit of feeding the ducks, because if we did, they'd never leave us alone.

I took my camera along to snap pictures of the flowers and the log cabin, as well as several of Mother and Sis on the bridges.

While we were gone, Hubbie went down a country road near our house and picked lots of daffodils growing along the ditches. After Mother, Sis, and I got back from our walk, I arranged the daffodils in a white teapot. Then Sis and I set the table for tomorrow's lunch. We used my unmatched pink and blue floral-bordered China (bought over the years at yard sales and flea markets), set on a white tablecloth, with white napkins in silver rings, and clear stemmed glasses. It's not grand, but it's pleasingly spring-looking.

This evening, we had supper at a local catfish restaurant. Mother loves catfish, so it's a once-a-year birthday treat for her. We first stopped at our favorite catfish restaurant, but discovered it is out of business! We've passed by that business almost every day without realizing it was closed.

At the restaurant where we ate, we asked when the other catfish place had closed, and were told it shut its doors right after Christmas (a sign of the times). I guess we never noticed, because we haven't been eating out much in the year since my heart episode.

Tonight, I tried to eat as healthy as a catfish restaurant will allow. I passed on the pinto beans, which were super salty, as well as the pickled tomatoes and the deep-fried hush puppies. And I ordered grilled catfish, with a request for only a dusting of seasoning. I also had a baked potato instead of French fries. But I did eat the slaw, and a little margarine and sour cream on my potato.

We all ordered the senior dinners, which were served on very small plates. I got one small fillet, and a small baked potato on mine. The others got two pieces of battered and fried fish with their baked potatoes. We've noticed that the buffet restaurants we've gone to lately are using smaller plates, too.

While we were out, we intended to drop by a grocery store and pick up some brown and serve rolls, but of course we forgot. So when we got home, Hubbie and I turned right around and went back to the store.

Mother and Sis spent the evening at her house, and Hubbie and I settled into our usual routine, including an hour of quiet time to read, followed by watching the news and Wheel of Fortune that I'd recorded on DVR, and then a couple of favorite one-hour shows.

It has been a lovely day, with a temp in the high 70s, but with a southerly hair-rearranging wind. Another very warm day is predicted for tomorrow.

0 comments: