Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday, March 3

We slept late this morning, and then after an 8-grain hot cereal breakfast (which is what I imagine cattle feed might be like, but which is supposed to be good for me), I hopped on the treadmill, and then did a weights workout. Tomorrow, I will most definitely get up and go to water aerobics.

I spent the rest of the morning sprucing the house, ironing tableclothes, etc...getting ready for family who will be here this weekend for Mother's 87th birthday party. So far, Sis will be here Friday and stay overnight, but will need to go home sometime Saturday. Son and Daughter-in-Law will come Saturday and stay overnight. My other son and daughter-in-law, and my daughter have not yet nailed down their plans for the weekend.

This afternoon, Hubbie attended a Master Gardener meeting, where plans were made to organize a community garden. The garden spot has to be approved by various city authorities, and then the space will need to be cleared and prepared, so the garden will not be operational
until spring 2010. When it is ready, folks who do not have space at their homes for a garden will be able, for a small yearly fee, to use assigned spaces in the community garden.

I spent the afternoon continuing household tasks. Later, one of the professors at a local college, who was in charge of props for the recent collaborative play between the college and the community theater, brought our ladder back chairs back. I began to wonder if they were going to return them at all, so I e-mailed and also left a voice mail to remind the professor that I hadn't gotten them back yet, and that I needed them for a gathering this weekend.

He was very apologetic when he brought them, noting that the young college student who was given responsibility for gathering and returning props dropped out of the program at the last minute, without tagging items. So the professor is struggling with identifying what belongs to whom.

To his credit, the professor brought my nicked and scarred chairs back in better condition than I sent them...he'd added a stain to them that makes them look a lot better. I'd told the young man who picked them up that the chairs are not precious, and they could do whatever they needed to make them fit their needs. Good for me!

For supper tonight, Mother devised a great recipe for a salt-free Salisbury steak, which we had with leftover mashed potatoes, spinach, and Lima beans.

Later, Hubbie and I spent our quiet hour between 6 and 7 p.m. reading. Then we watched a movie I'd recorded on DVR..."Camilla." This 1994, PG13 Encore movie stars Jessica Tandy in one of her last screen performances as an elderly lady who claims to have once had a grand career as a concert violinist.

This is a comedy/drama/love story about a young woman musician/songwriter (Bridget Fonda) whose husband, a graphic artist, keeps telling her that her music is "just a hobby." Tandy's and Fonda's characters take an adventurous road trip to attend a Brahms concert without letting the husband and the old woman's son know where they are going. Fans of Jessica Tandy (as we are) will like this movie. Tandy's real-life husband, the late Hume Cronyn, had a cameo role in the film.

0 comments: