Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday, May 22

Well, phooey. I woke up with a head cold this morning (thanks, Hubbie, for passing yours on to me) and felt too miserable to get on the treadmill. In fact, I didn't have the energy to do much of anything this morning beyond washing a few loads of clothes, and reading. And even with reading, I kept nodding off.

For lunch, I fixed myself French toast and scrambled egg substitute, and Hubbie heated a can of chicken noodle soup for himself. I'd much rather have had the chicken noodle soup, but the canned variety is just too high in sodium.

Mother came over this afternoon, and we watched the 1961 musical, "West Side Story," starring Natalie Wood. Even after all these years, it's still a fresh story...maybe that's because it is based on William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet."

Mother went home after that, and later Hubbie and I had a strange supper....I mashed leftover beans and mixed them with mustard, then spread the mixture on toast, placed slices of cheese on top and heated the toast until the cheese melted and the beans heated. I topped these with slices of Vidalia onions and another slice of toast. As odd as it sounds, these make very good sandwiches. We had fresh strawberries for dessert.

After that, I took a tour around the yard with Hubbie, and then finished the novel written by our retired professor friend. Then we watched one-hour shows on TV. What an exciting day.

I checked the eagle's nest several times today, but was never able to get a steady video feed. Something is obviously wrong with the cameras right now.

Mystery solved: for several days, we've been mystified by some dark yellow puddles that were occurring on the pantry floor. We wiped them up several times, but they kept reappearing. We checked the pantry for leaking canned goods, sweet potatoes or onions that had gone bad (though there was no odor to indicate rotting food). Nothing seemed amiss.

Then today, when I got ready to make French toast, I picked up a can of butter spray substitute and it slipped out of my hand and bounced off my jeans and sandels, leaving greasy spots. Obviously, the can was flawed and leaking, leaving small yellow puddles on the pantry floor.

I think I may have ruined a pair of jeans and my favorite leather sandals in the process, though, because I'm not sure how to lift the oily stains out of them. But I'll check online for hints.

0 comments: