Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday, May 17

We were up by 7:30 a.m., and I hit the treadmill right after breakfast. This morning, I had to use the shower in the downstairs bathroom, because when I showered last night upstairs, the water leaked through to the den, even though Hubbie used sealant on the drain. So now, we are probably faced with tearing that shower out and fixing pipes or something.



Once I was ready for the day, I checked on the eagles. The picture is fuzzy again today. Yesterday, I thought fog was the problem, but today I think it's something more than that...I think it's baby eagle poop. Since I've been watching the nest, I've seen the baby awkwardly balance himself, hind end up, and then shoot a mighty stream, which usually landed on the tree trunk or the edge of the nest. But the camera lens must be close enough to the nest that it took a hit yesterday or sometime in the night Friday.



This morning, the baby was more active, sitting up and looking about, wobble-walking around the nest, and stretching his wings. The baby is certainly not beautiful, but I'm getting more and more attached to him as I watch him grow and struggle to maturity. It's fascinating to witness the day-by-day changes in him. I'll miss him when he finally leaves the nest.



Later this morning, I could hear the sounds of people talking and laughing, and there was loud music, possibly from a radio, which continued for several hours. The mother eagle was vigilant, though not frightened. To me, though, the noises disturbed the peacefulness of the nest, and I began to wish the people would leave, or at least ditch the music.



In our own hometown area, the sun shone all day, though the temp was in the cool 60s. At least there was no rain for a change. The meteorologist at a TV station in our capital city said that it rained 13 out of the past 16 days. No wonder our yard is a swamp. The rest of the week is supposed to be sunny and warm, though, so maybe everything can dry out a bit. Of course, it'll be no time at all before we are wishing for rain again.



For lunch today, we had a delicious beef roast cooked with carrots and onions, and mashed potatoes and brown gravy, and applesauce for dessert. Afterwards, Mother and Hubbie went out to check the veggie garden. Hubbie also helped get Mother's yard ornaments out of the shed and place them around her house. I did nothing constructive...just programmed the DVR for the week's movies and shows, and read the Sunday newspaper.



Speaking of gardens, Hubbie discovered last week that potatoes are volunteering in the compost heap, so later we'll have a crop of new potatoes for a meal. You may remember that last year butternut squash volunteered. We never know what we'll get from the compost heap.



Later, I checked on the eagles again. The picture is jerky now, because it is being shown at one frame per second in order to conserve network bandwidth until the camera lens can be cleaned. If nature doesn't take care of it with rain, then it can't be manually cleaned until the birds leave the nest. However, there is an alternate view at the wide-angle site. But I prefer the more intimate close-up view, so I'll probably just tolerate this jerky version.



We spent a leisurely afternoon, reading and then watching a movie, "He Was a Quiet Man," starring Christian Slater and William H. Macy. This movie is unrated, but it contains violence and language. The plot revolves around a mousy man who is stuck in a dull, dead end job, ignored by his co-workers, and bullied by a younger male office manager. He brings a gun to work with the intention of killing several people, but a guy in the next cubicle beats him to it. In the process, he becomes a hero and his life changes...or so it seems.

0 comments: