Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thursday, May 21

We awoke around 8 a.m. to a beautiful, sunny day. After breakfast, I got on the treadmill, though I walked at a somewhat slower pace and didn't use the ski arms today. I did use the resistance bands for strength exercising, though.

After that, I called the other scrapbook club members. The first lady I talked to just wasn't up to doing scrapbooking, because she recently learned that her three-year-old great-granddaughter has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. The baby is to have a biopsy tomorrow morning, so naturally this lady is worried and stressed right now. She also has a grandson who had surgery on a foot last week to cut out an infected area, which now needs a skin graft. As if that were not enough, her sister had a mastectomy recently, and now has pneumonia.

Of course the member who lost both her husband and her son within weeks of each other is still not up to club meetings.

So that left one other member, who, after I called and told her that we could not meet at the Extension Services office this month, agreed to come to my house to work on scrapbook pages. So she, Mother, and I spent a pleasant afternoon from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. doing memory pages and making greeting cards.

After that, we had a same-song-second-verse supper of leftover spaghetti, beans with turkey bacon, and sauteed cabbage. While things heated, we made a dish of fruited Jell-o, using fruit cocktail and fresh bananas...I found a bag of bananas at 39 cents a pound while I was at the grocery store pharmacy Tuesday, so they are our fruit-of-the-week this week. They need to be eaten right away since they are at their peak of ripeness. Of course, I sent some of them home with Mother. Any that become overripe will be put in the freezer to be used in banana bread.

It was 7 p.m. (5 p.m. BC time) before I was able to check on the eagle nest, when I found that the close-up camera is out of commission right now. So I had to go to the wide angle view, which is way up above the nest. It's obvious, though, that the mother is still patiently sitting there, with the baby in the shade of her body. It's as sunny there as it is here.

This evening, we watched, "The Flying Scotsman," starring Johnny Lee Miller and rated PG-13. This 2007 film, based on true events, is about Graeme Obree, who overcomes great odds in the early to mid-1990s to become a world champion bicyclist. This is a good movie, though the Scottish accents made a few words hard to understand.
,

0 comments: