Sunday, June 14, 2009

Friday, June 12

Note: Our Internet was down on Friday and Saturday (unknown cause), so I am just now catching up on my blogs for the past couple of days.

Friday: After breakfast, a treadmill session, and getting ready for the day, Mother and I went shopping. I was looking for something festive to wear to the arts council Summer Celebration event, and Mother was looking for summer weight long-sleeve blouses.

We looked at a little nearby boutique store, and at the store that has a sale every weekend, but had no luck at either. At the boutique, I found a pretty cotton blouse with sleeves that come to the elbows, half price, but I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it, since I was really looking for festive wear.

At the store that has a sale every weekend, I found that swimsuits were on sale, 40% off, but I didn't want to take the time to try on the ones I liked, because Mother was tiring. So we came home and had grilled cheese sandwiches (Hubbie did the honors of grilling them). Afterwards, Hubbie and I shopped for groceries at the WDCS.

Hubbie spent the rest of the afternoon in the yard, and Mother made a card (with my help) for the lady who will be honored at a retirement party Monday evening. A photo of the card appears in another blog. I framed the black and white photo that I manipulated on computer, to be donated to the silent auction at the Summer Celebration event.

Around 3 p.m., there came a severe thunderstorm, with lightening that doused our power a couple of times, But fortunately, the electricity came back on before I needed to fix supper. For supper, I made freezer bag omelets, which we had with leftover potatoes, and toast and plum or peach jelly.

After supper, Hubbie and I went downtown for the Second Friday event, which turned out to be a bust. There were fewer than a dozen people on the streets downtown. Except for the art gallery and a new theater in a storefront that features country and bluegrass music, and country comedy acts, no businesses were open. A lot of people were seated in the theater, but only a handful showed up at the gallery. So the orange pecans that I supplied for the refreshment table weren't needed, and we brought them back home.

The weather had cleared up nicely by 6 p.m., when Hubbie and I went downtown, and the air was pleasantly cool, so we decided to take a leisurely stroll up one side of the street and down the other. Since there was nothing going on, we stopped and read all the historic plaques on the buildings. We were surprised to learn from one plaque that the building that now houses an architectural business, was once a saloon and brothel! When we noted this fact to the ladies at the art gallery, they were pretty surprised, too, and were anxious at the first opportunity to go down and read the plaque for themselves.

Besides ourselves, there was another couple out for a stroll, leading a beautiful afghan hound. The dog was shy of people, though, and clung to his master when anyone approached, so we just admired him and spoke softly to him as we passed. His owners assured us he was friendly and wouldn't offer to bite.

Around 7 p.m., we helped clear the refreshment table at the gallery, bringing a few cookies and a quart of grape/ginger ale punch home with us. Second Friday is supposed to be from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., but since no one was out and about, we decided those manning the gallery should go on home.

At home, we relaxed and watched TV for a while, before heading to bed. In the middle of the night, another storm blew through, so we didn't have a really restful night.

0 comments: