Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday, June 28

We were in no hurry to get up this morning, but we still popped out of bed around 7:30 just the same. After a cold cereal breakfast, I did a treadmill session and weights exercises. I didn't accomplish a lot once I was ready for the day...just the usual Sunday morning stuff, which consisted mainly of programming the DVR for the week's shows and movies by the new, vastly slower day-by-day method.

Mother came over mid-morning, and the first thing I noticed was that a daddy-longlegs adorned her white hair. I knew better than to tell her it was there, because she'd hysterically dance around and yell, "Get it off! Get it off!"

So instead, I quietly told Hubbie that she had "something" in her hair, and would he please remove it. After he did, Mother said, "it was a bug, wasn't it?!" I admitted that, yes, it was a daddy-longlegs. "I don't know why those things are attracted to my hair," she said. I don't either, but they sure are.

I spent some more time with my very interesting National Geographic book before we sat down to a lunch of boiled chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and crowder peas. Mother went home afterward, and I read the Sunday newspaper, while Hubbie continued his novel. It was a quiet afternoon, which we needed after the activity of the past few weeks.

I talked with Granddaughter for a few minutes this afternoon. She commented that she has a My Space page, so I took a look at it...there are lots of family snapshots there, including some of hers and her husband's trip to Texas recently to visit her husband's family. Of course, the snaps of the kids are the cutest.

Hubbie and I had a hard time figuring out what to have for supper tonight....pancakes or French toast? Nope...no eggs, and the boxes of egg substitute were in the freezer. Cereal and cinnamon toast? Guess not...not enough milk. So, we settled for PB&J sandwiches, with fresh grapes for dessert.

There wasn't much going on at the eagle nest when I checked after supper. Last night, after I'd posted my blog, the baby started practicing flying...flapping his wings, and getting about a foot off the ground this time, but still not ready to leave the nest.

We watched two movies today. The first was "Jinadyne," rated "R" for violence, some language, and brief nudity. In Australia, a woman is murdered and tossed in a trout stream in the wilderness. Four family men on a two-day fishing/camping trip find the body, but choose to go on fishing, instead of reporting their discovery right away, which results in a scandal. It's a powerful drama of how the town, and their own families, react to their wrongheaded decision.

The second movie was "The Wind that Shakes the Barley." This movie is not rated, but it deals with war, so contains violence. It's set in the early days of the Irish Republican Army, when citizens fight not only British occupation, but eventually each other as they take sides concerning a treaty. It's a gripping drama.

0 comments: