Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday, July 2

We were up by 7 a.m. this morning, and I did a treadmill and weights exercises session after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, I gathered props to be used in an upcoming children's play, to be performed the second weekend in July.

The director of the play e-mailed members of the community theater board asking for various items, and I was able to supply a couple of wind chimes, a man's flannel pajama top, and a queen size royal blue bed sheet. I'll be curious to see how these items are used.

The director also asked for stars that could be glued to costumes, but when I called her, I suggested that the kids in the play could make stars from card stock and apply glue and glitter to them. So I traced a star template onto one side of a file folder for her. The stars can be cut from the folder with an Exacto knife, which will leave a template for the kids to trace with. This is just the sort of project that kids love doing.

I'll take the items to the art gallery tomorrow for the play director to pick up at her convenience. Besides contributing these items, I agreed that Hubbie and I will act as ushers for the Saturday afternoon performance.

After that, I peeled potatoes to boil, and also boiled three eggs to make potato salad tomorrow for our July 4th meal Saturday. While the potatoes and eggs were boiling, I started a letter to my high school friend. After 10 minutes, I removed the eggs from the heat, but then I got so involved in my letter writing that I failed to notice the potatoes had boiled dry. I flew to the stove when I heard a sizzling sound. Fortunately, the potatoes were fine. I'd caught them in time. A little longer, though, and we'd have had boiled fried potatoes! If I'd had presence of mind, I'd have set the timer, instead of thinking that just because I was only feet away from the stove I'd remember to check the potatoes after a few minutes.

After lunch, I continued writing the letter to my friend. Other than that, I washed a load of clothes, visited Mother (she stayed home today), and just did this and that, including printing out an application to apply for a lifetime fishing and trout privilege license from the game and fish commission. It's been ages since we've gone fishing, but when we decide to, I want to be prepared.

Around 3 p.m., I decided to make bran muffins to go with leftover chicken noodle soup for supper. I'd gotten the batter mixed and into the muffin tin before I noticed that I hadn't put the honey in it. So I scraped the batter out of the muffin tin cups back into the mixing bowl and added the honey.

I might not have noticed that I hadn't put the honey in except that my baking method is to put all ingredients, bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, etc., out on the table before beginning a recipe. After I use an ingredient, I put it away. But this time, Hubbie distracted me when he came into the kitchen from mowing the lawn to tell me something. So I absentmindedly just mixed what I had in the bowl, and turned to the muffin tin on the counter, not noticing that one ingredient remained on the table. When I turned around to put the muffin tin in the oven, though, I saw the honey jar still there on the table. It was another oops moment for the day.



When I checked the eagle nest, the baby was flapping his wings and attempting to pick up and move a twig with his claws. Then he pecked at the twig like it was a living thing. So I guess he was practicing hunting and killing. He spent quite a bit of time flapping his wings and hopping from place to place in the nest. It's like waiting for a baby to take his first steps. I just hope I see it when the eaglet braves up enough to take his first flight out of the nest.

0 comments: