Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sunday, October 25

It has been a pretty typical Sunday. We slept late, and then after breakfast, I did a treadmill session followed by resistance exercises. Mother came over while I was doing that and put a beef roast in the slow cooker, with carrots and onions.

Once I was ready for the day, I uploaded photos to the computer, and programmed the DVR for upcoming shows and movies. Something I learned yesterday is that I can't get movies to play on the TV screen through the DVD/VCR player. We checked to see if all the cables were hooked up, and found one that wasn't, but the unit still didn't work after we plugged it in. So I guess the cable guy will have to come by again to solve the problem. I'll be glad when we get all the snags worked out of this system.

The beef roast was very good for lunch, with mashed potatoes and gravy. Afterward, Mother and I worked on a couple of greeting cards, including a screen door one for our friend that we visited last Tuesday. I'd sent a screen door card to our other friend, which she mentioned to this friend, who said "I didn't get one."

I had made a card for this lady's 80th birthday, but not a screen door one, because I didn't have the pattern at that time. "I plan to send you one for your next birthday," I assured her.

"I might not live that long," she joked, "I want one sooner than that."

"Okay, I'll send you one for Christmas," I laughed.

"That's not soon enough," she insisted.

"Okay, I'll make you one for Halloween!" I declared. She smiled, satisfied.

So we made a fall-themed card for her, which I'll put in the mail tomorrow. This lady is not really a demanding person...in fact, she is very sweet...but she has had two bouts of breast cancer in the past couple of years, so she is intensely aware of her mortality.

The other card I made is for an ex-granddaughter-in-law. Each year she sends us handmade stamped birthday cards, so the one we'll send her is constructed of handmade paper (that Mother and I made a few years ago), with one of my fall photos on the front, and a stamped greeting on the inside.

After that, Mother went home, and Hubbie and I watched movies I'd recorded on the DVR. We continued watching movies into the evening, after supper, including one from the Lifetime Movie Network called, "The Sight." A man goes to London to restore an old hotel and starts seeing ghosts, who want him to capture a serial child killer.

Another movie we watched was "Citizen X," starring Donald Sutherland, and Stephen Rae. The movie, rated "R" for violence and graphic sexual description, is based on the true story of a Soviet serial killer who murders 52 people, many of them children, before police can trap him. It was just by chance that I happened to record two movies about child serial killers. But this film is the most chilling for the fact that it is based on actual events occurring between 1982 and 1990.

0 comments: