Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday, October 27

We were up by 7:30 on this rainy morning, but by the time I walked on the treadmill and did weights exercises, got ready for the day, uploaded photos to the one-hour service, made a couple of phone calls, and just generally piddled around, it was 11 a.m.

One of the calls I made was to the Extension Service office to find out if our scrapbook club is eligible for a $100 award (from a $1,000 grant that can potentially be distributed among the 10 existing Extension Homemaker clubs). We would use the money to buy supplies for making greeting cards and memory pages for Caring Hands Hospice. I was told we are eligible, so I will write a proposal in the next few days. Awards will be presented at the Extension Homemakers Christmas luncheon.

Mother came over at 11 a.m. She felt sort of puny today, thanks to tummy troubles that kept her running to the bathroom. She wanted a soothing lunch, and settled for a cheese sandwich. I finished the last of the chicken noodle soup, and Hubbie made a sandwich from the last of the beef roast.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran a few errands...first to the store that has a sale every weekend, where Hubbie returned a pair of shoes he'd bought a few weeks ago, because he bought a pair that he liked better while we were at Branson.

From there we went to the health food store to get 8-grain cereal, and then to the WDCS to pick up my photos, and look for scrapbook stickers and washable gel pens. I wanted Christmas stickers, but there were none available in the craft department. I didn't think to look in the Christmas shop.

I decided to visit a couple of other stores to see if I could turn up the stickers I wanted, but neither store had them. However, I found a sheet of butterfly stickers at the everything's a dollar shop for Mother (she loves using them on greeting cards) and three rubber stamps. At the other store, I picked up a couple of puzzle books to give to Mother for Christmas.

We were back home around 2 p.m. Since I couldn't turn up appropriate stickers, I went to my computer and printed Christmas embellishment motifs from a greeting card program. Once they're mounted on card stock and cut out, they'll be fine on the screen door greeting cards.

The cable guy came while I was doing that and hooked up the DVD/VCR unit to the TV. He used a special cord for this so that now I will be able to record movies on video cassettes for Mother. And since we are now able to use the DVD player, we sat down at 3:30 p.m. to watch the musical, "Phantom of the Opera," as part of our "scary movie" marathon this week.

The movie was still running at suppertime, so we dished up servings of Spanish rice and coleslaw and brought them to the den, so we could finish watching the movie.

Mother went home after supper, and Hubbie and I watched a Lifetime Movie Network movie called "The Haunting Within." A brother and sister go to their ancestral home to settle matters after the death of their father and unearth disturbing secrets.

After that, we watched a couple of one-hour shows, including "Dancing With the Stars."

Funny: you might remember that I spent time during the weekend making a birthday greeting card for our ex-daughter-in-law. But I didn't mail it right away, and thank goodness I didn't, because in the middle of the night Sunday, a light bulb went off in my mind. Our ex-daughter-in-law has the same name as our soon-to-be-two-year-old great-grandson, but the ex-daughter-in-law's birthday is in December, while our great-grandson's birthday is this week! I would have been mighty embarrassed if I'd sent a card to the wrong person and failed to send one to the right one. I don't even know how I could have made this mistake, since the toddler was born on the same day as our soon-to-be-five-year-old great-granddaughter!

0 comments: