Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday, November 2

We were up at 6:30 on this sunny, perfectly gorgeous day, so I could go to water aerobics. The pool was comfortably warm today, too. I was surprised that only 12 of us showed up for the session.

After I got home, Mother came over and put color in my hair. I have an appointment for a haircut tomorrow, by Mother opted out this time. She has decided to go every other time, since she says her hair is thinning and not growing very fast.

It was around 11 a.m. by the time I was ready for the day. We had an early lunch, and then went over to the college, where an author, a former professor at the the school, was a visiting speaker promoting a book he has written about our state.

The book centers around a stereotype that by and large, the folks who live here are uneducated backwoods hicks. The author, a native of our state, and a humorist as well as a historian, spent seven years researching two centuries of events and incidents that contributed to the perception.

His talk was very entertaining, as well as enlightening. I was surprised, though, when Hubbie, who is very careful with a dollar, decided to buy the last available edition of the book. The author came with a box full of books, but they were snapped up before his talk began. Hubbie got the display copy, which he hurried to grab just before the end of the talk.

Because this was a noon talk, sandwiches and brownies/cookies, along with cold drinks were provided. But since we didn't know this lunch would be provided, and we had already eaten, Mother and I indulged only in the brownies. But Hubbie ate a sandwich, as well as dessert.

Following the talk, the author signed copies of his book, and Hubbie waited his turn in line. It was around 1:30 by the time we got back home. Mother went to her house after that to rest, and Hubbie and I went on a photo safari. Before I started taking pictures, we stopped by the appliance store where we bought the upstairs TV and left the remote control for a replacement. The TV is still under warranty, so the remote might be replaced free of charge.

Then we went to all my favorite spots to take autumn photos. Unfortunately, the peak for fall colors happened during this month's monsoon rains. Since I don't have rain protection for my camera, I didn't venture out. Today, I found very little subject matter for photos. We were back home by 3:30.

Supper tonight was Sunday leftovers. Mother went home after that, and Hubbie and I settled in to watch TV, including an episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

0 comments: