Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday, January 29

Woke up this morning to a winter storm. The ground was white, and snow was falling. It was 8:30 before we finally rolled out of bed, and then I kept to my usual routine of doing a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast.

Hubbie, in the meantime, was having a problem that caused him to sweat and become nauseated. He asked me to call his doctor. I tried, but got a message that his doctor's office was closed today (after being assured Wednesday that he'd be in his office on Thursday and Friday, if a problem arose). So I tried calling the ambulatory center at the hospital, and was told that number was no longer in service. I tried all the other hospital numbers, too, and got the same message. Finally, I tried calling his primary care doctor, and after being shunted from number to number, I got a receptionist. She said she would relay a message to the hospital on-call surgeon, who would call me back. A few minutes later, a nurse called. But by that time, Hubbie's problem resolved itself, thank goodness.

For a while, I dreaded that I might have to call an ambulance, and with the snow pile-up, I probably wouldn't be able to drive the van to the hospital. I wouldn't have wanted to leave Mother and Shih Tzu here alone, anyway, because Mother couldn't have waded the snow to our house to walk the dog. So I breathed a big sigh of relief that Hubbie was all right.

After I was ready for the day, I went outdoors to take pictures of the snow (see previous blogs). I didn't stay a long time, since my fingers started getting really cold really fast. After I uploaded the photos, I fixed lunch for us, and then went back outdoors to shoot some more pictures. The snow was continuing to fall, and kept on falling all afternoon. At 2 p.m., there was about 3 inches, and I estimate that another couple of inches fell after that.

When I came back in, I worked on recording birthdays, regular monthly meetings, and upcoming special events on a 2010 calendar. This is a chore that takes a while, and this afternoon I spent about an hour and a half on it.

It was 5 p.m. by the time I was done, so I sat down to watch the news before heating potato soup and slicing multi-grain bread for Hubbie's and my supper.

After that, we watched TV, of course.

Shih Tzu doesn't quite know what to make of all the snow. It's difficult for her to do her business in snow that comes up to her belly!

Mother stayed home today, of course, though I checked on her several times through the day.

Hubbie's getting cabin fever already, though he did go out to feed the cats and the birds, and get the mail. The doctor said he could resume normal activities today, as long he doesn't lift anything over 10 lbs. for five weeks. Of course, Shih Tzu weighs about 20 lbs., and because she is nearly blind and deaf, I have to carry her outdoors. I should acquire some new muscles after five weeks of that!

0 comments: