Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday, January 24

Today is Hubbie's and my anniversary. Happy Anniversary to us.

Got up late this morning, and skipped my exercises. Otherwise, spent the day as usual for a Sunday...programming the DVR for the week's movies and shows, washing a load or two of clothes, and reading the newspaper.

Lunch was steamed vegetables...a combination of yellow and zucchini squashes with onions, and red potatoes, plus corn-on-the-cob, all cooked without salt or other seasonings. At the table, we added salt-free seasoning and pepper to individual portions.

Mother went home after lunch, and Hubbie and I watched a 2007 movie..."Into the Wild." It stars Emile Hirsh, Vince Vaughn, Catherine Veener, Marsha Gay Harden, and William Hurt, and is R-rated for some nudity and language. Based on a true story, it's about a young man in the 1990s, who chucks it all after college graduation to go tramping around the country, on his way to the Alaskan wilderness. His ideals and survival skills are severely tested in his isolation in the Alaskan bush.

Later, I was pleased to get a phone call from my friend, who lives in our capital city. She is the one who fell and broke her neck. Although I've written to her, I've hesitated to call her for fear she'd move her head the wrong way and injure herself further. Her niece had warned by e-mail, when she contacted me, that if Friend moved her head too much, she could become paralyzed or even die. At the very least, she might have had to be fitted with a halo brace. It has been five weeks since the accident, and Friend seems to be mending fine, though she said it will take six months to completely mend. Right now, she is wearing a neck collar to keep her from turning her head.

This 78-year-old lady has had all sorts of medical problems, including a bad heart attack, a broken leg, and two knee replacements. She's tough. In fact, she has survived the rest of her immediate family, having lost her remaining sister last September.

After I'd finished talking with my friend, Hubbie and I resumed watching TV. The second movie we saw was "Marley and Me," a 2008, PG film, starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. This is a movie that is mostly comical as it follows the destructive antics of a family's yellow lab dog, but of course it ends sadly, in the manner of "Old Yeller," and "My Dog Skip." Since I already knew how it ended, I really wasn't in the mood for this movie tonight, but Hubbie seemed interested in seeing it.

0 comments: