Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday, April 30

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. It was a cloudy, mild, though windy morning. The pool was even chillier than it was Wednesday. Our leader had to leave early this morning to meet an appointment, so halfway through, an alternate took over. At that point, I decided to cut my session short, too. The alternate is fine, but I was ready to leave.

Back home, once I was ready for the day, Mother came over and we planned next week's menu. After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to two different grocery stores, the bank, and the WDCS. At the WDCS, we looked for the movie, "The Adventures of Milo and Otis," which Hubbie's sister recommended to us. She said she'd gotten the movie for $5 at the WDCS in her town. We found the $5 DVD at our store, too.

When I was browsing through a bin of movies yesterday, I looked for various ones featuring dogs, but I didn't know the name of the one his sister recommended, so I came away with "White Fang," instead. This is a series of 9 television episodes. I also picked up a bunch of other movies, some for $4, some for $3. They include, "In Good Company," rated PG-13, "All the King's Men," rated PG-13, "The Hours," rated PG-13, "Nightjohn," rated PG-13, "Follow the River," rated PG, a Hallmark four-pack (always family-friendly), and "Bridget Jones," the only R-rated one, and the only one for which the checkout clerk, tongue-in-cheek, had to ask if I am 17 years old.

We didn't do much after we got back home. For supper, we had hamburger (for Hubbie) and turkey burgers (for Mother and me) on buns, served with Parmesan potatoes and corn-on-the-cob.

Mother went home after that, and Hubbie and I spent a few minutes playing with the newest kittens before settling in front of TV to watch weather advisories for thunderstorms and even tornadoes. At 7 p.m., tornadoes touched down in counties north and west of us, which kept us glued to the TV, and prompted Hubbie to get the vehicles into the garage. Tense night. Mother came over around 9 p.m. By 10:30, we learned that several people were killed, many were injured, and property damage is significant.

As for our county, thunderstorms passed through, but about 2,000 homes are now without power. We have registered our land line and both cell phones with a capital city TV station, requesting that we be called in the event of severe thunderstorms or tonados. If these storms are anywhere in the vicinity of where we live, we get a call. We got a call tonight warning us of an approaching thunderstorm.

0 comments: