Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday, April 29

Slept late this morning, until around 7:30. Did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast.

Once I was ready for the day, I went shopping. Stopped first at the other store that has a sale every week, and used a 15% off coupon to buy a couple of blouses. One was on a rack on the sidewalk in front of the store. It's a brown, long-sleeve cotton shirt with an animal print detail around the neckline. It was only $8. I'll put that one away for the fall. I also found a sleeveless, silky top to wear under a dressy orange sherbet color blouse.

From there, I went to the WDCS for a few miscellaneous items, and then came home for lunch. It was nearly 12:30 before I got here, so Hubbie was having burritos. He didn't know I planned on having fajitas for supper.

I fixed myself a chef's salad. Then I called the ladies of our scrapbook club. We decided to cancel our weekend trip to a pioneer village in another town, due to predicted heavy rain and possible thunderstorms that day.

After lunch, I went shopping again, this time to the store that has a sale every weekend. Here, I found a pair of white linen slacks, and a white cotton sweater. Ordinarily, white is not my color (or lack of it), but I needed the neutral color slacks and the sweater to wear over bright summer colors. Our state gets very hot and humid in summer, but even in the hottest months, there are sometimes cool days, requiring a light jacket or sweater. And I always need long sleeves in frigid restaurants and doctor's offices. I was able to use a $10 coupon and the rest of a gift card for my purchases.

From there, I went back to the WDCS for a few groceries. Got home around 4 p.m. and fixed the fajitas, which we had with a salad of fresh tomatoes, Vidalia onions, and zucchini.

While I ran around all over town, Hubbie stayed home and worked in the yard. Mother worked outdoors a little, too, raking leaves near the steps of her house. She's a bit frustrated with the cats...they keep using her lettuce and onion garden for a potty, scratching up the plants. Recently, we read in a Heloise column that citrus peels scattered on gardens will keep cats out. Apparently, they don't like the smell of citrus. So I bought a bag of oranges, and today Hubbie put some of the peels in the garden. We'll see if they work.

After supper, it was the same-old-same-old. We watched a 1995 movie called, "Balto." Rated "G," it is and animated feature based on the famous real-life half dog/half wolf that battled Alaskan nature to carry diphtheria antitoxin to the children of Nome. Features the voices of Kevin Bacon and Bridget Fonda. This is a very good family movie that somehow never succeeded at the box office or as home entertainment. It tells an important story using both humor and drama.

Then we watched a Hallmark movie called, "Ice Dreams." A former Olympic ice skater who suffered an accident, agrees years later to coach a student, and in the process comes to terms with her past.

0 comments: