Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday, April 8

We were up at 7:30 a.m., so Hubbie could get ready to go to a 10 a.m. Master Gardener meeting. I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast, and then dressed to go join Hubbie and the other Master Gardeners at a local resident's beautiful tiered garden.



I arrived at 10:30, as suggested by Hubbie, but sat there for 30 minutes, because the MG meeting ran overtime. Except for a cool wind, it was a lovely day for a garden tour. The man who designed and created the garden has spent over 20 years developing it. It's on several levels, with paths and stone steps winding down to the bottom level.



Each level features colorful trees, shrubs, flowers, and shade plants. The bottom level features a bridge, a gazebo, several water features, including little falls of water that cascade over rocks, a pond of goldfish with a waterfall, and a pond filled with Japanese koi fish in front of a centerpiece tea house.



We spent about an hour in this large garden, and got home just after noon. After a sandwich lunch, we took Mother to the garden. Because it is on a steep hillside, Mother could not climb the steps, but we entered it from the back side, which allowed her to see the bottom level. Then we drove up and around to the front of the house, so she could see the backyard that overlooks the wooded area and paths leading to the bottom level.



While Hubbie and I toured the garden this morning, Mother stayed home so someone would be available when the pest control guy came to treat the house.



In between garden tours, I touched base with both the arts council director and my contact at the school where I'll do a photo residency, to iron out details of the session. I made arrangements with the school contact to visit the school tomorrow to see the supply closet that I'm to use as a darkroom. Then we went to a local pharmacy to buy more one-time-use cameras, since I've learned that I'll be dealing with close to a hundred students.



Back home, Mother and I individually bagged little items for students to use in making sunprints. Then I made a lesson plan. It was difficult this time, because I'll be dealing with two classes of third-graders in 40-minute sessions, and two classes of fifth-graders in 80-minute sessions (or blocks, as they now call them).



Mother went home after that, and Hubbie and I had leftovers for supper. Afterward, I uploaded the garden photos. While I was doing this, Hubbie came up to my office and showed me that one of the temporary caps on his front teeth fell off. Yikes! He absolutely has to get that repaired before Saturday, when we are scheduled to meet his daughter and great-granddaughter in another town to see the play, "The Sound of Music," at a dinner theater.



So Hubbie called his dentist at home, since his office is closed on Fridays. His dentist will call in the morning to let Hubbie know when to visit the clinic to fix the cap.



We spent the rest of the evening watching TV, as usual.

0 comments: