Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday, June 21

Summer Solstice! The longest day of the year, and one of the hottest in our town at about 100 degrees, with a heat index of between 105 and 110 degrees.



Got up at 6:30 a.m. to go to water aerobics. The pool was cool, as usual, but felt absolutely wonderful once I got used to it. Lots of women (and one man) showed up today for the session, including two new women. One of the women, a very large, not so young lady, was amply decorated with tattoos. As far as I know, none of the rest of us have tattoos. Not our thing.



I was sad to learn that one of the members found out over the weekend that her 51-year-old son has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it has not yet been determined how advanced it is. Apparently, her son hasn't had medical insurance until recently, so this was his very first wellness exam. What a shock to go all those years without benefit of annual physicals, and then have the first one reveal a terrible problem.



This lady and I share the common problem of heart disease, so we have become friends. She is the one who has a plum tree growing in her yard, and she doesn't like plums. So when the fruit gets ready to fall, she asks me and other friends to come gather them, because they make a mess in her yard and eventually draw flies. We are happy to take some of them for making juice to be used for jelly-making. We also like to eat them fresh.



Before I left for water aerobics this morning, I checked with Mother, who said she is about the same...still getting dizzy after walking a few steps. After I got back home, I tried to call her doctor, but it being Monday, the phone lines stayed busy. So I will just have to try again tomorrow.



Once I was ready for the day, I went to Mother's house to visit with her for a while. She requested a tomato for making a toast and tomato sandwich for lunch, so I brought one to her, plus a container of lemon pudding. She said she'd eaten toast with peanut butter for breakfast. I'm glad that she's eating, but her appetite definitely isn't back to normal yet. However, she did feel well enough to get dressed this morning, rather than staying in her housecoat.



At 12:30, Hubbie and I went to the art gallery to help take silent auction items to the restaurant where the Summer Celebration event is to be held. Then we spent an hour or so helping set up the auction area.



Back home, I visited with Mother for a while again, and then came back to relax, read the evening newspaper, and check e-mail messages, before getting ready to go the Summer Celebration at 6:30.



Funny: at the last visual arts committee meeting, I turned in the money and tickets I'd sold for the Summer Celebration, but I forgot to keep the two I bought for Hubbie and me. I mentioned this to the arts council director today, and she laughed, saying she had run short of tickets, and had sold my two again. So I collared the lady who will be taking tickets tonight and voiced my dilemma, and she laughed and said she'd let us in without tickets.

The Summer Celebration was fun. Entertainment included a former Vegas showgirl, a local Elvis impersonator, and a popular local band. Food was heavy o'dourves like chicken salad and ham sandwiches, dip and chips, stuffed mushrooms, mini-quiches, Brie cheese wheel, and fresh fruits, along with wine and beer. Each ticket bearer was provided with two drink tickets. We first tried the white wine, which tasted like shoe polish to me. So I requested a sweet wine, and got Zinfandel, which was much better.

There were silent and live auctions, too. This year, all I got at the silent auction was tickets to a dinner theater in another town. The live auction items included a vacation package at Boca Grande in Florida, and an antique pendant, valued at $1,400. Didn't bid on these, of course.

Following the auctions, there was a dance. Hubbie and I hit the dance floor for a couple of slow numbers before heading home around 9:30.

0 comments: