Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday, June 26

Up at 7 a.m., but skipped my exercises in favor of running errands before the heat of the day set in. Stopped first at the pocket park downtown, where several vendors had set up to sell garden veggies, flowers, and handcrafts. A country-western group was entertaining on the small stage.



I didn't find much that I was interested in, except radishes. For some reason that has baffled us for years, we are unable to successfully grow root vegetables.



From there, we went to the pharmacy/grocery store, the bank, and the WDCS. More and more, I am not able to find what I want at that large discount store. Today, I couldn't find the flavor of yogurt that Mother wanted. So we had to swing back by the grocery store for it.



Back home, after lunch, Mother agreed to try getting into the van for a ride to the community garden...a new project initiated by the city, under the guidance of a couple of Master Gardeners. Several raised beds have been established for folks to rent. Folks are gardening these with varying degrees of success. The best one is being tended by an 86-year-old man, who has planted beets around the inside edge of the plot, and tomato plants in cages, and okra, in the rest of the garden. It's very pretty, with the purple leaves of the beets, and the red of the ripening tomatoes.



On the way home, we stopped at the grocery store again to pick up a prescription for Mother. At home, Mother relaxed with her puzzle book, and I went to my office computer, where I finished a letter to a friend that I'd begun several days ago.



For supper, I fixed bagel pizzas and salad. Mother ate a half of one half of a bagel, and some cottage cheese with grape tomatoes from her garden. Hubbie and I had big salads, with spring mix lettuce, tomatoes, Vidalia onion, banana peppers from our garden, mushrooms, and the crispy radishes....yum.



Accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched TV. Started with an episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos," and then watched a Lifetime Movie Network feature called, "The Watch." As a child, a woman is traumatized when she is abducted and locked in a cellar. As an adult, she is in college and needs to write a thesis about dealing with childhood trauma before a deadline but she is easily distracted. So she agrees to become a watcher in a forest fire tower, because it is isolated. But after she arrives, strange things begin to happen.

0 comments: