Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday, August 23

Wouldn't you know it, I had trouble falling asleep last night. So 6:30 a.m. arrived too soon. Just the same, I rolled out of bed, because I was anxious to go back to water aerobics this morning, after being off for five weeks while the college was on summer break.



Despite problems getting my act together this morning, I still managed to arrive at the pool around 8 a.m., time enough to swim in the deep end before 8:30 aerobics. The water was very warm...pleasant when I first got into it, but eventually, after I'd swam awhile, it began to feel too warm. I figure it'll be plenty chilly by Wednesday, though. Twenty-three of us showed up today.

Sad news from the pool: a recent newspaper story told of a local woman found dead in her driveway by her daughter. The woman had been shopping, as evidenced by her car that was running, with sacks of groceries still in it. The daughter had just joined our water aerobics group a couple of weeks before the session ended for the summer, and her mother died sometime right after that. And then she herself took a tumble and broke her wrist, which is still mending.

Going back to water aerobics reminded me to order swimsuit wash online. The wash extends the life of expensive swimsuits. When my suits get pretty threadbare, I do what the other ladies at the pool do, I wear sports shorts over them. Then I wear them until they are hopelessly stretched out. Today, though, I treated myself to wearing one of the two identical swimsuits I bought on sale recently. Another lady must have availed herself of the sale, too, because she was wearing the same suit.



Back home from the pool, Mother came over and put color in my hair in anticipation of a haircut tomorrow. I asked this morning if she felt up to this task, since Hubbie has done it the past couple of months and would have gladly done it again today. Mother insisted she was up to it and wanted to do it. She has been suffering from the blues lately, fearing that she is "useless" and no longer needed, so instead of taking over tasks, I let her decide what she feels up to.



By the time I was ready for the day, it was 11 a.m., so I cut up lettuce, veggies, and fruits for a chef's salad lunch for Hubbie and me. Mother opted for a deli turkey sandwich, since she's not big on salads these days.



After lunch, Mother went home for a nap, and Hubbie and I went to a nearby town to buy a watermelon from our favorite farmer at his roadside stand. No one was available, so it was an on-your-honor situation, where buyers chose from three different size watermelons, at three different prices, then put the money for their purchase in a coffee can.



We had hoped there would be peaches available, too, but there wasn't. It's getting pretty late in the season for peaches, now, but we went to a roadside vendor in our town who still had some locally grown ones. Besides the peaches, we bought locally grown Asian pears.



We returned home after that, because Hubbie had a 2:30 appointment with his chiropractor, and it was now 2 p.m. While he was gone, I played on my computer. He returned around 3 p.m., and Mother came over about the same time.



Later, we put leftover beef roast and veggies into the oven for supper. Mother went home after supper. Before Hubbie and I settled in for a movie, I spent thirty minutes clearing a shelf and disposing of outdated pamphlets, booklets and the like, in my effort to get rid of "stuff" in my office. I figure I can eat this twenty-year-accumulation elephant one small bite at a time.

The movie we watched tonight was "Crossover," a 2009, R-rated film starring Harrison Ford, Ashley Judd, and Ray Liotta. Harrison Ford plays an immigration agent investigating illegals. Several scenarios are featured, including a young Mexican mother who is rounded up in a sweat shop, and who begs Ford to help child, an Indian family, whose daughter endangers her family when she pushes the borders of free speech at her school, and a young woman from Australia who is willing to barter herself to get a green card. Ashley Judd plays a teacher, who hopes to adopt an African child she is tending.

0 comments: