Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday, Sept. 3

Up at 6:30 to go to water aerobics. It was a lovely morning, with temp in the 60s and low humidity. I didn't mind having to park way up the hill near the student center and walking the distance downhill to the gym and then back uphill to my car after aerobics. A little extra exercise is good for me, so I made sure to walk briskly both ways. Of course, it's easier and more of a joy to walk briskly in cooler weather.

The water was cool, as usual, but nice once I got used to it. About 24 of us showed up. The dressing room was not as cold as usual, thanks to our 90-year-old member running the hand dryers for heat.

At home, once I was ready for the day, Mother came over, and we worked on greeting cards. We spent most of the day on this project. I printed autumn photos to use as backgrounds, and used a rubber stamp to make several pages of the greeting "It is your Special Day" in several colors. We think this greeting might be more appropriate than the traditional "Happy Birthday," for hospice patients or their family members.

Around 3:30, we discovered we didn't have the right color papers to use as insert sheets in the cards, or a glue stick to adhere them. So off I went to an office supply store to get what we needed.

When I got back, I made a batch of bran muffins to have with our supper of potato soup that Mother made (Hubbie had peeled and sliced the potatoes in the food processor earlier).

While Mother was stirring the soup just before supper, she suddenly felt nauseous, but though her stomach churned, nothing came of it, and she was able to eat a bowl of soup. But she turned down the muffins. She went home after supper, taking a muffin with her for breakfast.

Hubbie and I ran errands after supper...first to the other discount store that's going out of business. Today, many things were 30% off, so I picked up the last of the word search puzzle books, plus a roll of brown paper, a bottle of correction fluid, and a stack of greeting cards that were three for a dollar.

From there, we went to the WDCS for several grocery items. While there, I looked for a pair of canvas shoes I could wear with my waders. There were none to be found. So Hubbie and I returned to the other discount store, where I found a black pair in a size and half larger than I normally wear...big enough to stuff the wader footings into.

Then we went to a grocery store to get a gallon of milk, because the WDCS was out of it. The store also had shoe box size plastic totes at two for a dollar, so I got six of those.

Back home, we watched the 2008, PG-13 movie, "Doubt," starring Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams. At a boys' school in 1964, a nun has it in for the parish priest, whom she dislikes intensely. On flimsy evidence, she decides the priest is having an inappropriate relationship with an African American altar boy. She decides to force him out of the parish, whatever the cost. Great movie.

0 comments: