Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday, Jan. 14

Up around 7:30 this morning, and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Mother came over mid-morning and began sorting scrapbook and card-making scrap paper into colors. I joined her in this activity as soon as I was ready for the day.



We packaged the scraps in see-through sleeves, and put it all in a plastic tote. We also stored various sizes and colors of envelopes in a tote. We've gathered all sorts of envelopes from flea markets and yard sales, and from greeting cards that we exchange among ourselves (we don't sign names on the fronts of envelopes). Whenever we want to make a greeting card, we first choose an envelope, and then cut card stock to fit the envelope.



After lunch, Hubbie went to the barber shop, and when he got back we ran errands to a dollar store and to the WDCS. At the dollar store, I bought supplies for making hand cream. We use a lot of this soothing cream during the winter months. Applied at night, it keeps hands and feet soft.



At the WDCS, I bought three more totes to use tomorrow in sorting scrapbook and card-making elements, like buttons, ribbons, brads, etc. We also bought grocery items needed for the weekend.



Later at home, Mother and I fixed a supper of Ziplock bag omelets, which we had with potato pancakes made from leftover mashed potatoes, and the last of the Stollen bread I'd bought at a bake sale during the holidays and put in the freezer until we needed it.



This evening, we went to the college five minutes down the road from us to see the Kenya Acrobats perform. This is the third in a series of four performances that I bought season tickets for. Before Christmas, we saw a Celtic/folk music group, and then a hypnotist comedian.

Tonight's performance was tremendous as a group of seven acrobats performed human pyramids, balancing, tumbling, limbo dancing, hurling through hoops and contortions. The contortionist was particularly spectacular. The three main performers are nothing but pure muscle and performed hard-to-believe acts.

Folks must have been in the mood for something different after the holidays, and following a recent snow event, because the theater was packed, and the college had to turn people away. I'm really glad we have season tickets. We arrived around 6:30, for the 7 p.m. performance, but I wish we had arrived earlier, because we couldn't find aisle seats, which is what Mother prefers. We did the next best thing and had her sit behind a little girl, so she could see over the top of her head.

I'm certainly no acrobat, and I proved it last night, when I tried taking off a pair of long underwear while standing up, got my legs tangled, lost my balance, hopped helplessly to my right and banged my right arm, hard, on the edge of my office desk. Today, I have a huge bruise on that arm. Pretty stupid of me, since I could have sat on my office chair while removing the garment. I learned my lesson.


Note: today, I received the cutest card from three of my grandkids: on the front, it asks, "No blue hair? No heavy perfume? No stockings rolled down to the ankles? What kind of grandmother are you, anyway?" Inside the card, it says, "The cool kind, of course!" It just made my day.

0 comments: