Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday, Jan. 9

Up around 7:30, but once again skipped my exercises, so I could spend time with Sis before she had to head back home after lunch.

After I'd programmed the DVR for the week's shows, and did a couple of other things, we watched a 1985 movie musical I purchased recently..."A Chorus Line," starring Michael Douglas.

It was lunchtime when the movie ended. For lunch, we had leftover New England stew, with slices of Swedish casserole rye bread, and red velvet cake for dessert.

Sis headed home shortly afterward, because she wanted reach her house before a predicted snowstorm hit.

Mother spent the rest of the afternoon working on the jigsaw puzzle, and Hubbie and I went to the WDCS for milk and bread (no joke, we really did need milk and bread...so did Mother), plus a few other items. And even though our part of the state is not included in the worst of the snow predictions, the store was crowded, as it is every time snowy or icy weather is forecast.

While we were at the store, I decided that a pot of chicken noodle soup would be the perfect meal for tonight's supper, so we picked up a package of chicken breasts. As soon as we got back home, the three of us worked to wash and defat the chicken, cut up veggies, and start the meat stewing.

We all agreed that the soup, served with biscuits and honey, hit the spot on this extremely cold night.

Mother went home after supper, and Hubbie and I watched the Encore Mystery movie, "Signs," starring Mel Gibson. At one point in the movie, a character is watching a TV news program, and mentions that a bird has fallen from the sky, as if it had run into some sort of invisible shield and broken it's neck. Reminded me of recent news reports of hundreds of birds falling dead from the sky. As one eyewitness said on a local TV news channel, "We don't need no dead birds flying around." Amen to that.

Funny: at the beauty shop where Sis got her haircut, an older woman I'm acquainted with noticed the wristwatch one of the hairdressers was wearing.

She grabbed the hairdresser's arm and exclaimed excitedly of the watch that features a large face and wide white wrist bands , "Oh-h-h!! That's one of those popular new watches, isn't it?"

The hairdresser agreed.

"I don't like them," the woman flatly stated.

I cracked up laughing. The woman's husband, who was standing beside her, commented that whatever his wife thought flew out of her mouth. I assured him I already knew that, since I stand beside her in water aerobics classes.

Later in the evening, it began snowing in our part of the state. The southern and central parts of the state began getting snow in the afternoon, so reports of school closings began scrolling across the TV screen pretty quickly.

But it might be morning before we in this part of the state know if schools will be closed. Normally, it wouldn't matter to me, but I've alerted my Literacy Council student that if the schools are closed for weather, then we will not meet, either.

The snow inspired me to enjoy the last piece of coconut cream pie with a steaming cup of decaf, sugar-free cafe latte, from a mix that Sis made for me. Delicious coffee...thanks, Sis.

Finished the evening with a session in the hot tub.

0 comments: