Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday, Jan. 15

Slept really late this morning, until 8:30, but did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast. Mother came over mid-morning, and after I'd gotten ready for the day, we continued sorting and organizing scrapbook and card-making supplies.

Before long, we realized we needed more plastic totes, so Hubbie went to the WDCS and bought three more for us. That was just enough to finish the project.

Around 1 p.m., I got a phone call from a distant relative, who lives up north, to discuss genealogy information. This relative, who is a 53-year-old man, is my second cousin once removed, and he has been working on our family's genealogy for about thirteen years. So he has an enormous amount of material, some of which he has passed on to me (the information that concerns my leg of the genealogy).

It's obvious that he has a passion for researching our family, so he has followed us back to the mid-1800s. He has not been able to go further, since earlier ancestors lived in Ireland, and records from then were somehow destroyed. So, he said, he'd need to know the names of some of the living descendants in Ireland to be able to continue his ancestry search in that country.

I'm not a genealogy buff, but I'm glad to have the ancestry information he has provided. The only thing I've been able to add to his research is descendant information from my father down. But that is quite a lot, since there are several generations living in this and other states. He seemed pleased to be able to add that "piece of the puzzle" to his information.

I could immediately tell that he is a member of our family, because he sounds just like my brother in a northern state. So far, he has not interviewed my brother and niece, so I gave him my niece's e-mail address. He has interviewed my nephew, which is how he was finally able to track me down.

He offered to send more information on my leg of the genealogy, and will, in the spring, snap photos of ancestor grave markers in local cemeteries to include in what he sends.

His call was not a surprise, since we have been communicating regularly for several months...he asked for an appropriate day and time to call, and today is what we agreed upon.

Following this phone conversation, Hubbie and I sat down to watch our favorite college basketball team play to a nail-biter win. I'd recorded the game on DVR.

By then, it was nearly suppertime. Tonight, we had leftover beans and ham and spinach (from the freezer), and fresh-cooked sauteed cabbage, and baked potatoes. For Mother and Hubbie, there was cornbread. It was a very satisfying meal.

Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I did our usual thing of watching TV.

0 comments: