Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday, Jan. 31

Last day of the month. January gone already (but can't say I'm sorry). I was up around 8 a.m. this morning, and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast.



Mother came over mid-morning and relaxed while I got ready for the day. Before lunch, Hubbie and I ran a few errands, and then after lunch, Mother and I made a few valentine cards for Caring Hands Hospice (look for photos tomorrow).



We didn't accomplish anything else today. For supper we had leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans, with colesaw.



Mother went home afterward, and I went to the college library to meet my student. Tonight, we worked on changing statement sentences to questions: I am a student. Am I a student? They are students. Are they students? We also worked on being able to answer questions: What are you holding in your hands? I'm holding my English book in my hands. We ran into a little problem with: What are you doing? I'm reading my book. And...I'm studying English. Reading and studying are very difficult words for her to pronounce.



We also repeated rhyming words: bill, gill, ghost, coast, etc., just so she could get her tongue around them. It's not necessary for her to know the meanings of the words, only to learn to pronounce them, since the "b," "g," "c," etc. sounds will occur in upcoming lesson words. Tonight, too, she began working in her workbook, where she learned to read and then fill in the blanks: The woman is in the river. The man is in the tent, The tent is in the valley, etc.



Because we are now doing two-hour sessions once a week, and because we are able to communicate effectively enough, the student no longer brings her daughter with her.



It was misting on the drive home, the forerunner to iffy weather coming in. Our part of the state could possibly see one or two inches of snow, according to TV weather forecasters. But maybe they're wrong and it'll only rain. Whichever way it goes, the temperature is supposed to plummet, and I'm not looking forward to that.



When I got home, Hubbie was watching a western movie that I'd recorded on DVR. Afterward, we watched the 2009, unrated movie, "Fatal Secrets," starring Dina Meyer and Vincent Spano. A woman (Meyer) is raped by a man (Spano) with a secret background, and enlists the help of two female friends to confront him. Matters go awry.

0 comments: