Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wednesday, Feb. 2

Up at 7 a.m. this morning, but skipped my exercises so I could get ready to go to an independent living center to make valentine cards with other Caring Hands volunteers and residents of the center.

Around 9:30, Mother and I headed out on this bitterly cold day, marveling at the fact that there was a snow flurry even as the sun was shining. It was cold enough for me to wear my Nanook of the North coat. Usually, I only wear it two or three times each winter, but this winter, it has gotten a workout.

The day obviously caused brain freeze, because I missed my turn from the divided boulevard onto the street where the center is located. So I swung back around...and darned if I didn't do exactly the same thing again! Managed it on the third run, though, and arrived around 10 a.m., only to learn that the meeting was scheduled for 10:30.

The center's activity director invited us to relax in the sitting area until time to work. Once I got Mother comfortably seated, I decided to go fetch our supplies before I took my coat off, and as I got to the van, the Caring Hands volunteer coordinator drove up.

Inside the center, we found that the activity director had finished leading an exercise session with the residents, so we were able to go ahead and begin card-making early. We worked until noon, and with the stack of cards Mother and I had made prior to the meeting, plus the several made by us and the other ladies today, there are enough to distribute to the 26 patients currently in hospice care in three counties.

Back home, Hubbie did the honors of making us grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and afterward, we sat down to watch the final two episodes of "Downton Abbey." The whole thing came full circle, leaving the family still looking for an heir to the abbey.

The middle daughter made sure society learned of the eldest daughter's indescretion with the Turk who died in her bed. The eldest daughter returned the favor by telling the middle daughter's beau that another young man was going to pop the question. So the beau headed for the hills.

The third cousin twice removed proposed to the eldest daughter, but she put him on hold for a while. In the meantime, her mother became pregnant, raising hopes for a son to become heir. But the lady's maid caused the mother to slip on a bar of soap and miscarry. Now all hope once again hung on the second cousin twice removed, but he changed his mind, because eldest daughter had dragged her feet too long.

In the meantime, the maid who learned to type got a job as a secretary. The cook who became too blind to perform her duties got cataract surgery. The trouble-maker footman went into the military. Staff romances worked out. England entered war with Germany. The abbey acquired a new invention...a telephone. New episodes of "Downton Abbey" are currently in production. Looks like we're in for an Edwardian era soap opera.

Supper tonight was the beef stew we made yesterday, with biscuits and honey. Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I continued watching TV.

0 comments: