Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday, April 10

Up at 7:30 on this chilly morning. We had just finished a leisurely breakfast when the pest control guy came by to treat the house. Fortunately, now treatment occurs only on the outside of the house, so it didn't matter that I was garbed in an exercise t-shirt and shorts. I also didn't have to scurry around sprucing the house for him.

Around 9:30, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she cut up onions, banana peppers, and ham for a pot of Navy beans. After that, she finished her jigsaw puzzle, and I located another one for her to work on, while I set the beans to simmering, and then did a stair stepping, resistance, and weights exercises session.

After lunch, Hubbie went out to work in the yard, and I did this and that around the house, and then settled in to watch TV and play Sudoku games. A friend from water aerobics gave me three Sudoku books recently, because they contain variations on the game that my friend didn't want to try to learn (she's in her 80s). It was fun learning the games, even though they strained my brain, which, it is said, is a good way of possibly avoiding Alzheimer's Disease. Experts now insist that it's not enough to play brain games that we are already familiar with...we must learn new ones, or new ways to play old ones, to adequately exercise our brains.

Around 4 p.m., I started a pan of turnips simmering, which we had with the beans, and a combination of leftover scalloped potatoes and leftover baked potatoes.

After supper, I accompanied Mother back to her house, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, including the elimination show of "Dancing With the Stars." It's always sad to see someone go, and tonight it was particularly sad.

We also watched the new series, "Betty White's Off Their Rockers." This is hilarious...a group of senior citizens plays tricks on young adults. I plan to catch this each Wednesday at 7 p.m. on NBC.

Happy to receive notice by mail today that my blood work is all normal. I worried a little when I had to get a re-test of my white blood cell count, which was a little low the first time. I was told that a silent virus can cause this, and that's probably what it was. I felt a little blah...not really sick, just not up to par..a few days before the first blood draw, and I suspect that's when I had the virus.

0 comments: