Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday, May 2

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. It was warm enough this morning to abandon my fleece top for a t-shirt. Still wore the fleece bottoms, though...I'm not quite ready to wear shorts, yet. The water was cooler than it was on Monday, and it was pretty cool then. Some of the ladies contend that the reason it feels cooler is that it's warmer outside. I don't think so. I think that maintenance has dropped the temp because classes have ended, graduation is Saturday, and students will leave campus next week for summer break, so not as many people are using the pool. But the fourteen of us who showed up today enjoyed our swim anyway.

The lady standing next to me during aerobics (not the usual one who stands there...she was absent today) was particularly glad to be there, because, she said, she needed to get away from her family. Her daughter, in the process of a divorce, and grandchildren are living with her and her husband right now, which is stressful enough, but her husband chose to rant this morning about divorce proceedings being postponed once again. She didn't know if he was actually aggravated about the divorce, or because he is scheduled to have a procedure to insert a pacemaker. She tried to calm him down, but he was having none of it, so she came to the pool to get away from it all.

Back home, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she worked on her jigsaw puzzle, while I got ready for the day. I didn't accomplish much for the rest of the morning except make a recipe of sauce for goulash. I used a can of rinsed kidney beans, the remainder of the meatloaf, a stray tomato I found in the veggie drawer, a handful of mushrooms, a jar of spaghetti sauce, and a can of diced tomatoes, as well as various spices, to make the sauce.

Hubbie went into the garden to pick lettuce, green onions, and radishes to add to the meal. After lunch, Mother washed the lettuce (with my help) and spun it to remove the water. Then we made a batch of sugar cookies. As usual, I gathered all the ingredients, and Mother mixed them. We both worked to put the cookies on baking sheets, and then I baked them and cooled them for the freezer. This recipe makes about five dozen cookies, so it takes a long time to complete it. We'll contribute some of them to the Caring Hands Hospice fundraiser.

Mother resumed her jigsaw puzzle after that, and I relaxed until time to finish supper preparations. We enjoyed the meal, and there's enough left for one or two more meals. After supper, I accompanied Mother back to her house, and then I grabbed my camera and went into the yard to snap photos of flowers.

Later, Hubbie and I watched TV, including another SyFy disaster movie, and a couple of one-hour shows.

Note: a couple of days ago, and again today, our local newspaper reported that an Extension Homemakers club house had been robbed. In the two robberies, the thiefs cleaned the club house of everything...slow cookers, a pressure cooker, three roaster ovens, a coffee maker, a mixer, iron skillets and pans, flatware, a container of table clothes, cases of soft drinks, paper picnic supplies...about $2,000 worth. This makes me angry, because the ladies of that club sponsored several free community meals each year, and now they have absolutely nothing to work with. What's wrong with people these days?








0 comments: