Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday, May 5

Happy Cinco de Mayo. In Puebla, Mexico, this is a day to commemorate the Battle of Puebla; in the United States, it's a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.

Up around 7:30 this morning. After breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she worked on her jigsaw puzzle, while I did a stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises session. Once I was ready for the day, Mother and I fixed a recipe of tuna salad, adding a boiled egg, chopped celery, green onions, a slice or two of dill pickle, pecans, grapes, and dried cranberries, along with salad dressing.

After that, I did this and that around the house until lunchtime. Following lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...first stop, Caring Hands Hospice office, where I bought a chocolate cake at the bake sale; then to a fabric store to buy black netting and black lace; and to the grocery store for a few items.

Back home, I got busy fashioning a hair decoration with the black netting and lace, along with a black rose. It's difficult to wear anything in my hair, which is short and straight. But I'll skip getting my hair cut next week, so it will be as long as possible for pulling into a rubber band. Today, with hair clips, I was able to secure the hair decoration to my head.

Once I was satisfied with the hair decoration, I adjusted the ball gown, taking it up quite a bit at the waist, and little bit at the neckline. Then, using an antique-looking pin that Mother found in her costume jewelry box, and a wide black ribbon, I fashioned a necklace.

The gown is effective enough for the event, and I found that by wearing black crop pants underneath, I can safely fling the hoop and skirt over the back of a chair without risking my modesty. Tomorrow, I plan to have Hubbie snap several pictures of me out in the yard. I wouldn't want such a vision of loveliness to go unrecorded.

It took the rest of the afternoon to complete the ballgown project, so by the time I was through, I needed to prepaare supper. We had leftover goulash, served with a loaf of fresh baked bread (found a loaf of Tuscan bread yesterday at the WDCS that needed to be baked ten minutes), along with grape tomatoes and garden green onions topped with cottage cheese.

After supper, I accompanied Mother back to her house to help her take a shower, and then throw a load of laundry in the washer. Then, Hubbie and I spent the evening watching TV, including the Hallmark movie, "Firelight," starring Cuba Gooding Jr., about young women from troubled and violent backgrounds in a correctional facility who try, with a counselor's help, to return as productive citizens to society.

Funny: yesterday, while I was shopping at the WDCS, I called Hubbie. "Ask Mother what kind of mouthwash she wants," I said.

"She says Activia," he answered.

"No!" I said. "I don't want to know what kind of yogurt she wants! I want to know what kind of MOUTHWASH she wants. But never mind, I'll find it."

Found it...brand name "ACT."

Funny two: at the arts council meeting last Monday, to discuss an upcoming Summer Celebration event to possibly be held at a church fellowship hall:

First lady, drawing a crude diagram of the area: "Here's the church..."

"Here's the steeple," a second lady piped up.

"Open the door, and here's the people," the rest of us chorused.











0 comments: