Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday, June 11

Had trouble going to sleep last night. Finally drifted off around 2 a.m. So 6:30 arrived pretty quickly. At breakfast, Hubbie said he had trouble sleeping, too, and was up and down all night.

Although I really felt like crawling back into bed, I got ready and went to water aerobics, where several of the ladies also complained of sleep problems last night. Must be the change in weather. It had been cool and pleasant for several days, but this morning it was humid, and as the day rolled on, thunderstorms cropped up.

The pool was even fuller this morning than it was Friday. Today, the water was above the depth markers. I don't know why, but I seem to be more buoyant in deeper water, so that during aerobics, my backside kept wanting to float to the top. At least, I think it was the water depth. Though it might have been my amply padded rump.

I usually like to stand at the back of the group, near the rope, during aerobics, but not today. Back there, my head would have been under water. As it was, all of us exercised in water over our shoulders. We appeared to be moving in slow motion during the workout.

A dozen of us showed up today. Found out from one of the ladies that watermelons in a community near us will be ready by June 15, fully a month ahead of time. That community holds a watermelon festival the second weekend in August each year, and the growers are concerned that there won't be melons by that time.

The cantaloupes are already ripe, so we'll be making a trip to our favorite grower in the next few days to pick up these seasonal fruits.

Back home, by the time I relaxed and had a couple of cups of coffee, got ready for the day, and fixed lunch for Mother, it was time to go to the hospital conference room, where there was a luncheon and educational talk at noon. Today's talk was about skin cancer.

The lunch was three kinds of salad, provided by a local restaurant. We had chicken salad, macaroni salad, and veggie salad, plus a brownie for dessert. Hospital employees seated with us urged us to bring home three boxes of the food, since they would be discarded after the event, anyway. There's enough in those three boxes to serve us at least twice, if we use the chicken salad in sandwiches. Others took boxes home, too, but there were still a lot of boxes left behind. What a waste! Hopefully, hospital staff will make use of some of it.

At home, Hubbie changed clothes and went out to work in the yard, and I went upstairs to my computer to complete paperwork to update my artist-in-residency information for the state arts council. The deadline for submission is July 9, and this is the latest I've submitted my paperwork. I've been debating, for three reasons, if it's wise to sign up again: one, because Mother needs my help more; two, because the program I offer revolves around film photography and darkroom work, both of which are outmoded, even though they are still great teaching tools, and three, because it's more difficult to obtain darkroom supplies, and four, because it is now impossible to get one-time-use cameras developed in one hour. For that part of the course, students might need to bring digital cameras from home.

Halfway into the paperwork, there came a thunderstorm, so I had to shut the computer down. Lots of thunder and lightening, and strong winds. Some rain, too, but not a lot, only about a half an inch. The rest of the afternoon remained dark and dismal, though. Naturally, Mother didn't want to come over to our house.

Later, after I heated leftovers for supper, I took a serving to her. Wow, it had cooled off significantly after the storms! Even though Mother's front door is anything but quiet, she didn't wake up when I entered her house. In fact, she was so sound asleep, she startled me. I had to shake her several times to awaken her.

I stayed with her for a while so she would have compnay while eating her supper, then returned home to enjoy my meal with Hubbie. After supper, we did the usual...watched TV, including a scary 2011 crime movie called, "A Lonely Place to Die." The film takes place in the Scottish Highlands, where a group of hikers run across an underground vault containing a young girl. The hikers rescue the girl, and then are hunted by the men who had held her captive.











0 comments: