Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thursday, August 9

Up around 7:30 this morning, and after breakfast, Hubbie delivered the van to the shop to have work done to satisfy recall notices. Afterward, he attended a Master Gardener meeting, which lasted until noon.

In the meantime, I did a treadmill session and resistance bands exercises. Once I was ready for the day, I accompanied Mother to our house, where she sliced green tomatoes for the freezer, while I did this and that around the house, including washing laundry.

Around 11 a.m., I gathered ingredients for making a chef's salad. I used a combination of spring lettuces, fresh spinach, tomatoes, Vidalia onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, walnuts, Craisins, fresh cantaloupe, fresh plum, sliced cheese, cottage cheese, and dressings.

Hubbie arrived with a door prize he'd won at the meeting...a pretty basket, with the word "Garden" etched on the rim, and filled with salsa makings: a couple of onions, a couple of tomatoes, and a handful of red and green japaleno peppers. I doubt that I'll make salsa with the veggies, but we'll eat the onions and tomatoes, and put the peppers in the freezer for whoever in the family wants them.

He also brought home a pin and certificate awarded to him in recognition of his ten years as a member of the organization. So he had a very good morning.

For lunch, Mother had her usual Ramen noodle soup, cheese, and crackers. Afterward, she headed to the couch for a nap. She slept until around 4 p.m.

Didn't accomplish much during the afternoon...I'm always afraid I'll make noise and wake Mother. Finished the laundry, read a couple of magazines and the local newspaper, played on my laptop, watched TV, but that's about all. If I'd thought ahead, I could have gathered some card-making supplies, and worked on the little table in the kitchen.

Mother sleeping most afternoons is a fairly recent thing, so I need to adjust to it and think of constructive things I can accomplish that don't make a lot of noise. There are cards to be made, a photo that needs framing, paperwork for Extension Homemakers that needs completing, photos on my laptop and upstairs computer that need to be transferred to CDs, novels to be read, a new pair of jeans that need hemming...all sorts of productive things. No use wasting my time.

Hubbie didn't do much, either, except go to the gas station to fill the truck with diesel, since we heard on the news that the price of fuel is about to rise significantly.

For supper, I put leftover pork roast and veggies in the oven to heat. Later, I heated the rolls we brought home from our lunch Tuesday. Also had individual cups of applesauce with the meal.

Accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, including a 2010 movie called, "The Rig." A violent storm comes up, and the men and women working on an offshore oil rig end up battling not only the storm, but an undersea creature, when they invade the creature's territory. Naturally, they get picked off one by one.







0 comments: