Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tuesday, August 7

Up around 7:30, but skipped my exercises, so we could get ready to travel to another town about 45 minutes away to join a group of my high school graduation classmates for lunch at a restaurant.

Family was invited to join us, so Hubbie and Mother went along. Ten classmates, plus three family members gathered in a private room of the restaurant. The food at the restaurant is homestyle, and the three of us had roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried okra, along with hot rolls. The homemade pies looked luscious, but I knew the lemon and coconut cream ones would have yellow dye in them, so I opted for vanilla ice cream, which Mother and Hubby ordered, too.

We visited for about an hour and a half, and then there was a drawing for a door prize, which Mother won. She objected that it should go to a classmate, but no one would hear of it. Since she is downsizing at her house, she insisted I take the prize, which is a large, heavy, pewter-like bowl, which she will "visit" when she's at our house.

Learned today that I am one of only two classmates whose Mother is still living. The other mom is 92 years old. Mother is 90. I feel blessed that Mother is still here. Mother really enjoyed seeing everyone today, and they enjoyed seeing her. It's been fifty years since she'd seen them in person, though she'd seen them in photos I took at past reunions.

After lunch, the lady and her husband who live in the town invited us back to her house for coffee, but since I knew Mother was getting tired, we declined and headed home.

Got back around 2 p.m., and Mother immediately headed to the couch for a nap. Hubbie and I relaxed in front of TV while she slept. She awoke around 4 p.m., ready to go to her house, so I accompanied her.

Since we had such a big lunch, it was catch-as-catch can for supper. Around 5:30 p.m., I opted for nice cold watermelon. Hubbie fixed himself a sandwich, then went outdoors to water plants. It was 7 p.m. before I got hungry. Fixed myself a cold roast pork sandwich, which I had with the remaining macaroni salad.

It was more TV after that, including another episode of "Mystery Woman."

A good day.



0 comments: