Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday, Oct. 7

Up around 7:30, but still didn't get to exercise after breakfast, since I needed to get a beef roast and veggies into the slow cooker quickly. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house at 9 a.m., and she prepared the veggies. Hubbie peeled potatoes, and tenderized the roast with a mallet. I seasoned and browned the meat, and then completed steps necessary to start the roast cooking in the slow cooker.

Spent the rest of the morning in usual Sunday chores, and then started a movie from the library..."The Evening Star," starring Vanessa Redgrave, Glenn Close, and Meryl Streep. We've seen this very touching story before, about a dying woman (played by Redgrave), who slips in and out of consciousness, as she reviews her life and loves.

The roast beef, with carrots, onions, potatoes, and gravy, was good. Afterward, Mother retired to the couch for a nap, while Hubbie and I went outside to create a fall arrangement. We used a bale of straw, three large pots of mums, and two pumpkins, one with my favorite motif, painted by Sis...a raven on a tree branch, against a big yellow moon, and the word "Nevermore," This is a nod to the famous Edgar Allen Poe poem,"The Raven." Once the display was completed, I kept thinking there was something missing, but whatever it was didn't come to mind.

Mother only napped for about an hour, and then she was ready to go home. I accompanied her on the walk across the yard. Then Hubbie and I ran a couple of errands. But before we visited the stores, we went to the college where I swim and walked briskly around the small lake. Three laps around amounted to about one mile. This satisfied my need to exercise, since I missed sessions yesterday and this morning.

From there, we went to the WDCS to pick up photos I'd ordered, and for me to look for a pair of $2 eyeglasses to wear while working on my laptop. My old ones made everything look blurry. Yesterday, I chose a pair that were too strong, but that Hubbie likes for reading. Today, I got a pair that are not as strong, but are just right.

Also stopped at a dollar store to pick up some grooming supplies, and then came back home.

While we were relaxing, it suddenly occurred to me what was missing from the outdoor fall display...the scarecrow! So while Hubbie located it, I grabbed my camera, and out we went to finish the arrangement.

Spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including a library movie, "Love's Unending Legacy," a Christian drama that has a young, widowed, frontier woman taking care of a son, and then taking on the responsibility of a fourteen-year-old orphan-train girl. The girl's brother goes to an abusive neighbor, so the woman has to take action. Also, the sheriff is in love with her.

Watched one-hour shows after that, until bedtime.








0 comments: