Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thursday, Nov. 15

Had one of those nights when I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I hate when that happens. Seems Hubbie did the same thing, but neither of us knew it until we got up at 7:30. Guess we were each being careful not to wake the other.

Did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house while I cooled down. Then he went to meet a 10 a.m. dental appointment. Before I went upstairs, Mother and I watched the elimination episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

Hubbie returned home as I was getting ready for the day. By then, it was time for lunch. After lunch, Mother retired to the couch for a nap, and Hubbie and I ran errands...to the bread store to get loaves to dry for dressing; to a grocery store for store brand icing to be used at a kids' graham cracker cookie Christmas house workshop; and to the WDCS for grocery items, including cream cheese for making a dip for a happy hour event tomorrow night, and various things for Thanksgiving Day dinner.

Back home, the first thing we did was open the loaves of bread, put them on baking sheets, and placed them in a high place to dry, out of the cats' reach, in the storeroom.

Mother had finished her nap and wanted something to do, so I let her make the cream cheese dip, which I'll take to the happy hour, along with sweet potato chips, and vegetable-variety chips. The chips are low fat, with no-salt-added, so I will be able to enjoy them. The happy hour will take place after business hours at a local architect's office.

The architect is the brother-in-law of my ESL student, and someone we've known for years. According to my student, this man hosts a happy hour every Friday after work, which is attended by family and friends of family as they have time to do so. My student is anxious for me to attend, since she considers me her "best friend in this country."

This is a busy season for us, so tomorrow will be the only Friday we have free until sometime after the holidays.

According to the student, drinks are provided, but guests may bring their own favorite beverage if they wish, and they are encouraged to bring nibbles.

Even though we know the host, we have never had occasion to visit his architectural firm, so today on our errands, we swung by there. The firm is in an historic two-story stone structure, built by the host's grandfather. It's a very unique looking building. I'm surprised we haven't seen it before. But it's sort of out of the way, on a gravel road.

The host is a very, very opinionated man, and it's hard to be around him sometimes, since he fancies he's an expert on every subject, particularly politics. We like his wife. She's a member of the master gardeners, which is how we know her. She must have the patience of Job, though, to put up with her husband.

I'm not sure we'll want to make a habit of attending these get-togethers, but we'll do it this once just to please my student.

Got a call today from the Literacy Council director in response to my e-mail asking how many pre-schoolers normally attend Family Reading Night, and she said a whopping 50 or 60! Yikes! That's a crowd for making graham cracker cookie Christmas houses. But she hastened to say that she and various volunteers will gather the necessary supplies for the event, so I gave her a list of things needed. I agreed to attend to help give instruction, if necessary. And I agreed to take along a sample house to use as a model.

Making these models is something Mother enjoys doing, so I'm sure that'll be on our list of things to do the week after Thanksgiving, since we'll need it the first time on Dec. 1 at the art gallery, and again on Dec. 13, for the pre-school event.

Supper tonight was more leftovers...meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes, green beans, and a choice of biscuits or cornbread. Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then we settled in to watch TV for the rest of the evening.










0 comments: