Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday, March 15

What a glorious day! Bright sunshine and a temp that eventually rose to about 80. Slept well last night, and didn't get up until nearly 8:30. I am still coughing and blowing, so I didn't go to water aerobics, but instead just headed for the shower, and got dressed. As I told Hubbie, all the fun has gone out of this cold. I'm ready for it to go away now.

Hubbie had awakened earlier and was ready for breakfast by the time I got downstairs. He accompanied Mother to our house soon after breakfast, and she started a new jigsaw puzzle. At this rate, I think she's going to complete all the ones she got for her birthday before the end of March.

I decided this morning that we should bake the remaining sweet potatoes that we bought last fall to keep them from going bad. There weren't many left...just enough for us to enjoy a few very small ones for lunch, and put the rest in the freezer.

After lunch, I grabbed my camera and went outdoors to snap a few photos of the beautiful daffodils. I suggested to Hubbie that he cut some for the house, which he did. I put them in a pretty, white teapot, and they make a wonderful bright spot in the dining room. It makes me feel better just looking at them...sort of like my own little get-well bouquet.

Since we had nothing important going on this afternoon, we watched the remaining movie from the public library..."Rob Roy." We'd seen this 1995 movie before, but didn't remember most of it. It stars Liam Neeson as a 1700s highland Scotsman, who borrows money from the nobility to buy cattle to herd to market, but when the money is stolen, he's forced to defend his honor and his family.

The movie was pretty long, and ran until around 5 p.m. At that time Hubbie did the honors of preparing supper...French toast and scrambled egg substitute. I did all the incidental things needed for the meal.

After supper, we decided to take advantage of this nice evening and go to the river for a walk. It was a good way to get Mother out of the house and into the fresh air. She enjoyed it. It was a small bit of exercise for me, too, pushing her in her wheelchair along the riverwalk.

Back home, I accompanied Mother to her house and took her blood pressure, which was good tonight. The last couple of days, it has settled into a pattern of somewhat over 130/70. I think the reason might be because I've been giving her lunches other than Ramen noodle soup.

Also, when I took Mother home tonight, I checked to see what she had in her fridge and pantry. I saw that she has already eaten a huge bag of veggie chips. She has only had them for a few weeks, so I think she has been eating them mindlessly in front of TV. These are pretty high in sodium, so those combined with Ramen noodle soup nearly every day might be what spiked her blood pressure. I'll continue to monitor her food intake to see if I'm right.

At home, Hubbie and I watched TV, including a 2011 one called, "Take Shelter." A man begins having bad dreams that are so real that he actually awakens with wounds and pains from them...like his dog biting his arm makes his arm hurt the next day, and an attack with an ax makes his nose bleed. He experiences horrible storms, so he builds a storm shelter...is it to protect his family from something that might become reality, or is it to shelter them from him?
















0 comments: