Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday, May 12

Today is Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's in the family.

Hubbie and I wanted to sleep late this morning, but we woke up around 6:30, and weren't able to go back to sleep. So we lazed a half hour and then got up.

I headed straight for the shower and then got dressed in a "going out to eat" outfit, because we planned to go to a local restaurant for lunch. Skipped breakfast, since I knew I'd have a big noon meal. Around 9:30, Son called to wish Mother and me a happy Mother's Day.

When I asked what his plans were for Mother's Day, he said he guessed he'd grill hamburgers. So I got the idea that it might be good for us to meet for lunch in a town that is about halfway between his town and ours. He and Daughter-in-Law were agreeable to this, so we all hurried to get ready to meet at around 11:30.

I contacted Daughter and Sis, in hopes they would be able to meet us, too. It was too short notice for Sis, but Daughter agreed to come. She couldn't be there at 11:30, but she and Great-Granddaughter got there as we were having dessert. They chose their meals from the buffet and enjoyed lunch while we all visited.

Daughter brought me a beautiful Mother's Day card, and Son and Daughter-in-Law gave me the cutest mug...there is a floral design on the mug itself, and the handle is a hummingbird. I love it.

We visited for a couple of hours both inside the restaurant and outside, before we were all ready to head home. It was a wonderful gathering...one of the best Mother's Days I can remember. The weather was even perfect....started out a bit cool and windy, but warmed into the balmy low 70s later.

On the way home, we stopped at a roadside market and picked up a couple of cartons of strawberries. The season is winding down, so I was glad to find these.

At home, we completed our interesting and fun day with a 2009 DVD movie from the library..."The Mighty Macs." Based on a true story, a woman (Cathy Rush) becomes head coach of a girls' basketball team at an all-girls tiny Catholic college in the 1970s. The college has no gym and no uniforms, but Rush is undaunted as she leads the team to a national championship. This G-rated movie is definitely worth a watch.

Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward, and then we watched a couple of episodes of "Prime Suspect," another DVD from the library.

For supper, we settled for bowls of cereal. Hubbie had a slice of raisin bread with his, and I opted for fresh strawberries. Strawberries are never better than when they are fresh-picked from the field, as these were today.





0 comments: