Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday, June 12

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready for water aerobics. The water was warm, enough so that doors to the gym were open and huge (and very loud) fans were blowing.

Back home,  Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30.

I checked the apple-peach jelly we made yesterday. Drat, it had not jelled as I thought it had yesterday. It was extremely soft, almost as if it reverted to a more liquid state overnight, which was very frustrating.

With so many jars of failed jelly, I felt I had to do something, so I decided to follow directions of our favorite pectin, and re-do one jar of jelly to see if I can get it to jell. If the jar jells correctly, then I'll suspect that the pectin I've been using (the brand recommended by the automatic jelly maker company) is the problem, and I'll try making one more batch of jelly in the unit, using our favorite pectin. If that doesn't work, the jelly maker will be shipped back for a refund. I bought it because I thought it would make jelly making easier, but the silly thing has done nothing but frustrate and befuddle me.

Oh well, once we finished fooling with that jar of jelly, I went upstairs to get ready for the day. By that time it was nearly noon, so we had a sandwich lunch. Afterward, I didn't do much beyond catching up on reading newspapers, and playing on my e-tablet.

Just after 1:30, Mother and I went to meet our haircut appointments. We could have waited longer, since my hairdresser was overbooked to the point that it was 2:30 before she was ready for me. It was around 3:30 by the time we got back home.

A few minutes before 4 p.m., we went to visit our friends. Spent an hour with them, and we both really enjoyed it. We were glad to see our local friend is getting around better after suffering a ruptured disk. She uses a walker when she has to walk in stores, but at home she seems to get around without assistance. Our out-of-town friend is having a little trouble with her knees, but otherwise seems fine.

We were back home around 5:30. Hubbie had gone to the Italian restaurant to pick up two dinners, using certificates I'd gotten at a silent auction during the arts council art event last year. Since another of the events is scheduled for this Friday night, we thought we had better use the certificates before they expired.

One certificate was for spaghetti, and one was for lasagna, along with garlic bread and marinara dip, and sides of mixed fruit. I was amused when Mother worried that there might be enough food for her to join us for supper, since there was enough to feed four people. At the end of the meal, there were leftovers enough for someone's lunch tomorrow.

Soon after supper, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then Hubbie and I finished the day watching TV.



    



0 comments: