Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday, July 15

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready for water aerobics. It was a bit humid this morning, but the walk to the pool was still pleasant. The pool was a bit cool, as usual, but fine once I got used to it.  A dozen of us showed up for the session today.

The talk today was about damages around town from the thunderstorm that roared through here yesterday...trees falling on building and cemetery headstones, hail, flooding, and power outages. There was no real damage at the college, other than some sizable limbs falling from trees. Thank goodness, all that occurred at home was thunder, rain, and the lights flickering a couple of times.

Back home, I started sipping a cup of coffee, but noticed Hubbie sitting on the edge of his seat. He was anxious for me to get ready for him to put color in my hair so he could meet a 10 a.m. appointment downtown.

So we got on with it, and then I finished my coffee while I waited for the color to work. Before Hubbie left, he accompanied Mother to our house, where she tried to work on a jigsaw puzzle she started yesterday. But it proved to be a bit difficult, so she wasn't enjoying it. I rounded up another one for her to begin, and then went upstairs to get ready for the day.

Back downstairs, I called both of the other scrapbook club members. The first one chatted for quite a while, telling me of her household woes. Seems that the toilet in her bathroom overflowed while she was away from home, flooding the room and ruining the floor. So she's busy engaging a plumber, and a carpenter.

Also, a hose to her washing machine burst, flooding her utility room, and spraying everything in sight. This happened at night, so she had to go find a flashlight and go outside to turn off the water. She spent most of the rest of the night mopping up as much of  the water as possible.

Her son and son-in-law came to the rescue, replacing the hose, and shopping for new indoor-outdoor carpet for the floor. Since everything had to be taken out of the room, this lady is now sorting things, throwing out what has been ruined, and getting the room back in order.

As if that weren't enough, sometime between June 20 and July 4, someone stole valuable equipment and tools out of her shed.

In a long phone conversation with the other member of the club, I learned that she is feeling better, but doesn't know if she'll feel confident enough to drive to our house for the meeting. The news from her house is that her shih tzu dog ran out when she opened the door one day, and went barking after her son-in-law's truck and trailer, narrowly avoiding being run over. This lady said her heart was in her throat, and I can certainly understand.  However, she said that for some strange reason, she felt great afterward...as if the incident somehow helped straighten out her hair-fractured rib.

So I don't know if anyone will show up for our regularly scheduled monthly meeting on Thursday or not. But I'll spruce the house just in case.

Hubbie returned around noon, and after a PB&J sandwich lunch, we all hopped in the van and went to a town about fifteen minutes away and bought a watermelon at one roadside stand, and cantaloupes, cucumbers, and green beans at another.

Back home, Hubbie occupied himself, while I washed the beans and Mother and I snapped them. I started them simmering, seasoned with a can of beef broth and a can of chicken broth, plus onion and banana peppers that Mother diced, and spices.

Then I washed yellow and zucchini squash, which Mother cut up, along with another onion and more banana peppers, and Hubbie washed new potatoes. I set these vegetables to steaming, and while everything cooked, Hubbie and I went to the WDCS for a few grocery items.

I get so aggravated with that store. They never seem to consistently carry items I prefer. Today, I searched for a particular brand of fat-free ice cream, but there was none to be had. I went to that brand when they ceased carrying another brand I routinely bought. Today, I would have switched to yet another brand, if there had been any that was fat-free. But of course there was not.

Then I looked for yogurt ice cream bars that Mother and I both like. I started buying these after I'd tried a sample at the store. Oddly, on the day I tried them, there were none in the freezer case. And since then, I've had trouble finding them, since the store seems to only stock a half dozen boxes at a time. Today, the space where they should be was empty.

Back home, we relaxed for a while until time to finish supper preparations, which only amounted to making a batch of cornbread, and putting a can of biscuits in the oven. The meal was really good...nothing is so yummy as a meal of fresh-from-the-garden summer veggies.

Afterward, Mother opted to stick around so we could watch a few more episodes of "Wind at My Back." At 8:30, she decided she was ready to go home, so Hubbie accompanied her.

Then he and I finished the evening watching one-hour shows.



















0 comments: