Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday, Jan. 3

Up around 7:30. Got dressed before breakfast, so I'd be ready when the guy came to deliver the new bathroom cabinets and vanity top.

He and the guy who has been working on the bathroom arrived about the same time. The unit was installed before noon. We hoped the plumber would be able to come today to hook up the sinks, but unfortunately he had to take care of his parents. His father, who is wheelchair bound, has been in the hospital for a time, but he was dismissed today. His mother alerted him that the heating unit at their home was not working, so he needed to go take care of it. We certainly understand this.

He is scheduled to be here Monday, but now we are hearing that we might get wintry weather Sunday night and Monday, so it won't surprise me if the work is delayed again.

The guy who brought the cabinets and vanity asked what hardware we wanted on the cabinets. Hubbie and I hadn't even thought of this, so I was sort of stumped. The guy asked if we wanted the white ceramic ones from the old cabinets put on the new one. No, I said, they don't match the new ivory/beige color of the new cabinets.

I mentioned that the faucets are brushed nickel, and he hastened to say that his shop has brushed nickel hardware, and he can bring a selection by for me to see and choose from on Monday.

Now that there are new cabinets in the bathroom, the towel cabinet/clothes hamper unit across from it will need to be painted the same color, and new hardware added to it. Also, the window frame, the bathroom door, and the woodwork will need to be painted, which the worker plans to do on Monday.

Once the bathroom is complete, I'll need to choose a new venetian blind, new curtains, new wall hangings, new bath rugs, and new towels and wash clothes, since none of what I have now matches the bathroom.

All this because I set out to have the walls painted.

Hubbie and I accomplished very little while the work upstairs was going on. I did write a few New Years greeting cards to friends, read newspapers, and continue reading the new John Grisham novel, but that was about all.

At noon, I fixed a Ramen noodle lunch for Mother, who had opted to stay home today, and then prepared a ham sandwich lunch for Hubbie and the worker. I chose to eat a PB&J sandwich, since I wasn't in the mood for ham.

Later, I started a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering. The worker left around 3:30, and then Hubbie went to Mother's house to see if she'd like to come over to our house. She was ready to get out of her house for a while, so she joined us for supper. Then she stayed around for a Lifetime channel movie.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied her home, and we continued watching TV, including an episode of "The Tudors."

0 comments: