Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday, Jan. 11

Slept late, until around 8:30. Hubbie was already up when I went downstairs. I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30, and she went to her jigsaw puzzle.

Before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I baked a pie crust, so it would be cool when I got ready to make a coconut cream pie later.

By the time I was dressed and had gathered clothes to be washed, it as after 11 a.m. Idled for a while until time to fix lunch, which was Ramen noodle soup for Mother, mushroom soup for me, and a bean sandwich for Hubbie.

After lunch, I made the filling for the coconut cream pie, and then made a meringue for the top. Mother helped by measuring  some of the ingredients for me. I used fat free milk, sugar substitute, and egg substitute in the filling, as well as sugar substitute for the meringue.

Coconut cream pie is usually my choice of dessert for my birthday. In the past, Mother liked making the pie for me, but she is no longer able to, so I decided to do it for myself.

I was amused last night after we returned from the restaurant, when Hubbie decided to have a small snack before bed. He shared a banana with me. I commented that for his birthday, I fixed not one, but two desserts...a lemon pudding cake, and a pineapple upside down cake, both his favorites...but he didn't fix even one dessert for me, not even brownies or a chocolate cake from a mix. All I got was half a banana.

When the pie was made, I joined Hubbie in watching our favorite college basketball team as they played to a disappointing loss.

Afterward, I put leftovers from last night's Japanese restaurant meal in the oven. The meal was good again. Served slices of coconut cream pie afterward. It was yummy, too.

Mother stayed around for a little while and watched Wheel of  Fortune, and then Hubbie accompanied her to her house.

Spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including a suspense movie recorded on DVR from the Lifetime channel.

***********************************************

Note: Mother misplaced her glasses again, including her bright pink glasses case. We searched both houses, and even called the restaurant, trying to locate them, although Hubbie was positive she hadn't taken them to the restaurant.

Later this evening I suggested he look in the back of the van, where the wheelchair is, to see if the glasses might have dropped out of her coat pocket while she was getting out of the wheelchair and into the van at the restaurant.

He was reluctant to look, being convinced she hadn't taken them to the restaurant. "So I guess it's not worth the trouble to even look?" I asked. Oh, well, it was a waste of time, he figured, but yes, to satisfy me, he'd go check anyway. 

He returned a few minutes later, glasses in hand. "Are you satisfied now," he laughed. I agreed that I was.




 






 

0 comments: